I wonder what browser statistics is being read at Microsoft?

Story: MS online spree shows it's scared silly by FirefoxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Nov 02, 2005
9:10 AM EDT
Quoting: ... "Firefox support is coming soon. Please be patient".

I cannot believe MS is panicked by a slow growth to a mere ten percent or so of the browser market world wide. My suspicion is that in important places the numbers jumped quickly and are remaining much higher than they are comfortable. Go to the bugs section or the discussion section of Mozilla where Firefox is discussed, even when there are problems the preponderance of the tone is a search for improvement. The efforts are there to improve the browser not to damn it. Moreover, most seem to me to be running on Windows.

A long time ago, I ran across a non-techie site that had in the range of thirty percent plus Firefox usage [and Linux higher than usually being reported]. I really wonder where Microsoft is looking, because obviously its got its attention.
tadelste

Nov 02, 2005
12:42 PM EDT
Txt: MS is generally panicked. Most of the problem comes from trimtab customers who have been killed by viruses. The world's largest company got beat up by a virus that stopped them from processing checks for two days and credit cards for part of a day. It goes on and on.

IE and Outlook Express were classifed as national security threats by DHS.

Sometimes I want a 4x6 to hit someone over the head when they use IE in front of me. So, they must maintain some perception of themselves as all mighty.

You have to wonder why Bill got a dividend through and got so much cash into his hands personally if he didn't see the writing on the wall.

Hey, XP is 5 years old. 2003 Server is really Windows 2000. When was IE 6 released?

And now, they're doing what they criticized IBM for doing when the former IBM came out with the Microchannel. They're changing everything so you have to buy a new OS and Office suite on the next upgrade.

OOOpppps. Sounds like walking out on the plank to me --blindfolded.

Of course, as a scientist, I know you want the empirical, technical details while I'll go with functional and business.

Your suspiciousness seems on target.

bstadil

Nov 02, 2005
12:48 PM EDT
The comparison between IBM's Microchannel and Vista / Office 12 is excellent.

Wonder if people still remember how this marginalized IBM in the PC domain.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!