Sugar coating

Story: Sony's (Non-Existent) Corporate ConscienceTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
bstadil

Nov 02, 2005
3:24 PM EDT
Don't sugar coat it Carla, Tell us how you really feel ;-)
alc

Nov 02, 2005
3:49 PM EDT
"Of course this only affects users running Microsoft Windows"

I wonder how many of these Win user's will vote with their wallets and stop using Sony's products.It seems like the only way a company like this will get the message.
bstadil

Nov 02, 2005
3:54 PM EDT
Sony has released a Remove the root Kit, service pack. http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html IE only Go figure
tuxchick

Nov 02, 2005
5:11 PM EDT
Because it requires ActiveX. Now there was an inspired idea- an application that allows remote execution of random code on your system! Damn, that's innovative!
alc

Nov 03, 2005
12:28 AM EDT
It doesn't remove it.It just unmasks it so you can't say their hiding something. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/03/sony_rootkit_drm/
helios

Nov 03, 2005
5:04 AM EDT
It doesn't remove it.It just unmasks it so you can't say their hiding something.

Now that it is in the clear, our guys have a clear shot at it. Any takers that they will release a remove tool within 2 weeks at the councel of their attornies?

h
number6x

Nov 03, 2005
5:49 AM EDT
alc,

From the register article you linked:

"Incredibly, the Sony DRM malware has been out on the market for eight months and is bundled on 20 CD titles. Sony said it hadn't received a single complaint until this week. So, disturbingly, most people either haven't run into serious problems yet, or even more disturbingly, don't find the Sony DRM particularly onerous. We pray it's not the latter."

Of course there have not been many problems. Most people who buy cd's, well, buy cd's. This is what Sony and the RIAA cannot seem to comprehend.

Most of the people who purchase products from the music industry pay, they don't pirate. Sony has not gotten many complaints because the vast majority of people who purchase their products do not burn thousands of copies of the cd's they bought. The vast multitudes of good customers are not trying to circumvent any DRM. They are not vast hordes of ‘pirates’ supplying a huge underground market with ‘stolen’ music.

This is history repeating itself, all over again (apologies to yogi).

Back in the early eighties albums (the vinyl kind) used to come with a little message on the back. There was a cassette tape with cross-bones under it and the text "Home Taping is killing the Industry".

25 years later, the industry is more profitable than ever. Why didn't home taping 'kill' the industry? Because copying albums actually had almost no effect on the industries bottom line, even though the industry produced study after study saying it did. Back in the late 70's and early 80's music industry sales were slumping, and the executives of the big companies thought there must be a reason.

The big record companies were unwilling to accept that they themselves were the reason. Small record companies were popping up in Europe and the US and growing rapidly. In the US companies like IRS records carried groups that were considered unpopular by MCA and Columbia. IRS was started by Stewart Copeland and his brother, and allowed Stewart's band "The Police" a way to get their music published. None of the big recording companies would consider giving a contract to, what they considered a 'punk' group like the Police.

You see the big companies had paid for big studies of successful pop music. They felt that they knew all they needed to know about how to program hit music and make money. The biggest of the big was Columbia. Columbia only signed three new pop groups in the year 1980. All three groups sounded like the currently most popular group "Journey". The commercial radio stations would all play the same songs, and everyone, but the artists would get rich.

Only the formula was not working and sales were slumping.

Wow three bands that were clones of Journey. That sure inspires sales.

Meanwhile groups like The Ramones, The Clash, and The Police were some of the most popular bands on college radio. These kinds of groups did not fit the ‘pop’ profile that big music had developed, and they did not get contracts.

By about 1983, the record companies realized they were to blame for their own lack of success. They either bought out the little companies, or they bought out the contracts of the groups people actually wanted to listen to. The record companies promoted producers who were more in tune with truly popular music. Radio stations became ‘alternative’ almost overnight.

Once the record companies started selling music people wanted to buy, sales went up.

They paid for all of those studies, and thought they knew how to control the market. They completely forgot to ask what the customer wanted.

By the way people older than me can tell the same tale in the 40’s when recording music first became big business and the musicians and bands thought they were going to be driven out of business (google: James C. Petrillo music boss). I believe it also happened in the 1890’s with the sheet music industry.

However, after the music industry embraced the new medium, they found it was a new source of profit.

Why will people buy music when they can just get it for free? Because buying music gives the people the control of playing and scheduling the music. High fidelity FM radio did not kill the music industry, it became the greatest advertising mechanism for album sales.

So the next time you turn on the radio and here the latest Britney clone, you will come to realize that the music company executives all have their heads stuffed deep in the sand. They need someone to blame.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 03, 2005
6:10 AM EDT
Quoting: ... next time you turn on the radio and here the latest Britney clone

When I can skip the original, why bother with clones?

Quoting: ... you will come to realize that the music company executives all have there heads stuffed deep in the sand ...

Are you trying to be cute, or just trying to keep it clean? That's all I want to know!
number6x

Nov 03, 2005
6:16 AM EDT
Keepin' it clean.

If they knew where there heads were at they'd be figuring out how to increase sales using the interenet.

Heck, they already understand that giving the songs away for 'free' on the radio leads to sales.

How long did it take Apple's i-music to reach the 1 millionth download?

If we drew them a picture they still wouldn't get it. I guess some young executive with a clue has a chance to increase sales and start a round of early retirements.
TPuffin

Nov 11, 2005
7:04 AM EDT
Gah. While I firmly agree with the sentiments posted here, the grasp of plural vs. possessive terms vs contractions in the above posts is atrocious. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to effectively communicate!

it's = contraction of "it is" its = possessive, like "his" or "hers" they're = contraction of "they are" their = plural possessive, meaning "belonging to them" there = a place. Not here, but there. user's = possessive, "belonging to the user" users = plural, "more than one user" cd's = possessive, "belonging to the cd" I think you were looking for a plural form, which I personally prefer to write as "CDs." Though I don't know the best way to do this I'm reasonably sure it doesn't contain an apostrophe. :)

Now, back to the topic. Here's a link

http://www.uschamber.com/press/releases/2005/november/05-184...

to an article from the US Chamber of Commerce where they congratulate themselves on cracking down on piracy of copyrighted material. And here's one

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051110/tc_nm/media_copyright_dc

where the Justice Dept. proposes getting even tougher on infringers.

I support measures such as these for phony CD factories. There's no grey area there. What concerns me is how this might be used against individuals whose copying MIGHT fall under "fair use" provisions. Assuming of course that a court will ever get around to defining "fair use" in a useful way.
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
7:36 AM EDT
TPuffin --

The record companies don't give anything away for free on the radio.

Top pop stations may get free music and (Yikes!! Payola's back) or even paid for spins (I thought that was illegal), but that is a marketing cost for the record companies. For non-digital radio, they see it as an ephemeral thing, not the same as giving you a piece of music to play when and where you want.

if you are a radio station playing any music other than the latest and greatest, you aren't going to get such gracious treatment.

TPuffin

Nov 11, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
Dino,

I won't argue - I don't know diddly about radio and I've missed the podcasting fad thus far. But I don't recall referring to radio (regular or internet) in my post.
number6x

Nov 11, 2005
9:53 AM EDT
TP

OK I messed up on one there. "there heads" should be "their heads". I've fixed it, thank you for your concern.

No problem with Its, its, their, they're, user, users, or user's.

cd's schmee-dees. Compact disks is plural, compact disk's is possesive. CDs, CD's, cd's are all vernacular non-standard English. They're more subject to their own vulgar rules than they are to OED or any manual of style. So there!

I'm a programmer, I let the compiler do my spell checking

:)
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
10:27 AM EDT
6 -

Hmmm. Perhaps the world would be a better place if we could learn to speak Python/Java/C/Ruby, whatever...

I wonder how you say "Baby, you look hot tonight" in Python?
Tsela

Nov 11, 2005
10:44 AM EDT
Don't know about Python, but in Ruby, I'd write:

baby.look_hot :tonight

If I do a bit of reflection I can also write:

baby.send :look_hot, :tonight

which points out to the fact that Ruby follows the Smalltalk idea that methods are messages sent to the object, hence the simplicity of translating your message to that person ;) .
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
11:12 AM EDT
TPuffin -

Sorry my bad. It's just that you and number6x look SOOOOOOOO much alike.

Maybe if you changed your hair style?
number6x

Nov 11, 2005
11:22 AM EDT
dino,

I don't have enough hair left to style.

The stuff I do have doesn't grow on top of my head...

God must surely be a woman.

dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
12:52 PM EDT
6 -
Quoting:God must surely be a woman.

A scorned one, at that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!