How much do you want to bet?

Story: The Axe Falls on ODF in Massachusetts?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
salparadise

Nov 03, 2005
10:07 PM EDT
That MS will comprise (at least) half of this new "commonwealth information technology expert task force"?

I believe the traditional ending to this scenario is where the good citizens of American arm themselves with pitchforks and burning sticks and make their way to M$-HQ and surround it. Break the doors down and catch the Evil Doctor just in time to stop him taking the world over, then watch as he accidentally falls into the flames while trying to save his papers.

I joke about it because otherwise I'd despair.

Open Source needs some politicians behind it. Some decent, heavyweight politicians, who stand at least some chance of being heard.

hkwint

Nov 04, 2005
2:32 AM EDT
Quoting:Open Source needs some politicians behind it.

But in the USA, (decent, heavyweight) politicians need some companies with much bucks behind them.

Someone needs to break this circle before OpenSource stands any chance, and I am afraid US 'democracy' (which in fact is aristocracy if rich stockholders are paying companies for paying politicians) has to be changed before this goal can be reached.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 04, 2005
5:10 AM EDT
Recently I got a reply from my U.S. House Representative from an email I posted to him on his site quite awhile ago. He began his letter, apologizing for his delay in responding.

In essence, while some in his office are already were using Firefox, it would be impossible to standardize Congress on this browser, because many are dependent upon IE only features.

Automated response received July 19, 2005 contained the message I sent:

Quoting:Message: Wondering if you could suggest that the House in particular and perhaps the government in general might move to more secure (and less costly) software options. For example: Linux and for those using any operating system: Firefox Internet Browser.

On this page: [this link no longer works] http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020463,39209577-2,00...

Such an action was suggested in one of the new UK locatized parliments: "A representative of the Welsh Parliament recently made a proclamation to the parliament that they should be using Firefox. He sent me the minutes - it's now in their formal and permanent documentation..."

The ending of his letter was even more interesting, it was on Congressional stationary, where he said explicitly he expects to hear from me again soon.

Here was another note I sent a bit later:
Quoting: Message: Please check this link: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=42854

One of many where FEMA is limiting access to only Microsoft tools with known insecurities. This is more than simple stupidity, it is merely a continuation of this regime sole goal of rewarding supporters and damn everyone else.

Can you do something to reverse this travesty? Note I am using a non-microsoft browser that is only in pre-release form. Moreover, it is not even a more widely released test version and it has more security features than Microsoft's released version of Internet Explorer. Forgot to mention IE runs only on Microsoft operating systems. I don't use one of those.

Sorry just remembered I had jumped back to the stable release for a check against the test version I have been running routinely. Nonetheless, even this version and my OS would not meet FEMA strictures.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!