Storm in a glass of water

Story: Lycoris Source Code Controversy ClarifiedTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
aRTee_mtips

Nov 04, 2005
6:43 AM EDT
It's not clear to me what the big point is.

GNU code is available from GNU anyway. What stops people from getting it there? Was it modified?

Only if Iris and other components are not developed in-house within lycoris one could say that the GPL is being violated - the point of the GPL is that those creating the code will benefit from any improvements made by others to whom the code was made available, if those changes were distributed. Now I see where Iris was distributed, I just don't know if it was based on such community code. If it wasn't, the point that it would be released under GPL is just a statement, one that Lycoris (as it no longer even exists) can likely not be legally held to. And in that case, Lycoris/Mandriva can take as much time as they want, and those complaining can hold their breath if they like, it's up to them.

BTW is there any link to a page where this statement about making/providing Iris as GPL is made by Lycoris people?

Lastly I don't see why we should care about the code in Iris - what's so spectacular about it?

aRTee http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr
Moulinneuf

Nov 04, 2005
9:43 AM EDT
"It's not clear to me what the big point is."

Some people realised that there system and company no longuer exist and that the system they enjoyed in the past no longuer work as it used to. Now they finally get what all the other where saying when they asked for the source and specs.

"What stops people from getting it there?"

They dont even know what you mean by that , there used to ask Iris for there software and the job is entirely done for them. I would had that since you mentionned GNU , in there own little mind your a zealot.

"Was it modified?"

Yes , it whas optimized for the lycoris platform , they did not follow the LSB and the way they built there package whas closed ( feel free to show everyone the how-to if you disagree ) , hence if you where not a developper you dont know how to build them and the problem continue with the distribution system ( what Iris is , its similar to Smart urpm and synaptic who are availaible on Mandriva , imagine if you dont have access to it or something similar ).

"Now I see where Iris was distributed,"

Your mixing beeing used and distributed , if the code whas distributed other would have it and could share it with all as the former owner claim and current owner say it to be GPL now.

"BTW is there any link to a page where this statement about making/providing Iris as GPL is made by Lycoris people?"

If it exist its really well hidden.

"Lastly I don't see why we should care about the code in Iris"

Its an Open Source distribution system , might not be the best now but the technology can always be improved or used for something else. Those who are developping for lycoris also whant it to be able to distribute to there users. Lastly from studying it one can know what to do and what not to do.

"what's so spectacular about it?"

http://iris.lycoris.com/

its pretty nice as a distribution system.

Some people had the weird idea that since there company asset got bought by Mandriva that they would support there product at all and as is.

Thats why in my mind Mr. Bancilhon is the best COO there is but as CEO he might be still a bit behind. He needs to tell people what is what.

Mandriva is not MandrakeSoft , its for now the asset of three great distribution who all got bought and acquired by MandrakeSoft. He need to say that he is sorry that *is team* under *is direction* did not act more faster on this and that he is personnaly overseeing that the Lycoris code is made availaible the fastest as possible. He need to remind people , clearly and without an once of doubt or possible false interpretation what MandrakeSoft stood for and why its whats driving Mandriva Today.

He need to inform all the community that he bought Lycoris to make sure that the code and developper now worked at making GPL code because other bigger and more wealthier distribution would not do it when asked. He need to say that since thre creation Mandriva as always been real Open Source and following the GPL and promoting is as its the only right thing to do.

That probably whont happen , thats also why people think mandriva is a small GNU/Linux player , when there not.

jimf

Nov 04, 2005
11:05 AM EDT
Speaking of a tempest in a teapot;

So Mandriva has been put on notice that it must comply with GPL... And, they are obviously gonna comply. Is that response gonna be immediate enough for some people? Well, probably not, but they are gonna do it.

Does it matter whether this is the fault of Lycoris, or Mandrake or Mandriva? Hell no! That is entirely an internal Mandriva matter.

Does this make Mandriva people bad? Probably embarrassed, confused, & defensive, but, I don't think that their intent was bad. Just the usual Corporate 'cover your ass BS.....

Enough! The thing is being resolved people, let it go.
dcparris

Nov 05, 2005
7:59 AM EDT
Personally, I believe it will be resolved to everyone's liking, even if not according to everyone's timetable. People were concerned because they had to previously drag the source code from Lycoris. It appears to be something of an historic trend. I was informed that Iris source code was previously available, but no longer is, even though it still should be. There was also concern that Mandriva could say, "we'll release these sources, but these other sources are not ours, and therefore not our responsibility".

The articles basically point out that Mandriva is owning up to the responsibility for the code. The end of this article drives home the point. Companies need to plan and communicate much better than happened here. Otherwise, people get concerned unnecessarily. It's a lesson every libre software company should be willing to learn.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!