Duh... No kidding.

Story: Internet Explorer is dangerousTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
jimf

Nov 05, 2005
11:54 AM EDT
Even if you are an avid MS fan, the news has been saturated with reports of IE's vulnerabilities and other problems. If you haven't responded to that by now, then there is very little hope for you. Just give it up... you shouldn't be using a computer at all.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
12:14 PM EDT
Jim, it's like the Far Side cartoon, "What Cats Hear:"

jimf

Nov 05, 2005
12:20 PM EDT
Yeah, I know Tuxchick.... But it gets soo old.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
12:27 PM EDT
It does, it does.

Or Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown.
helios

Nov 05, 2005
1:10 PM EDT
MAJOR NEWS STORY OF THE YEAR BROKEN BY HELIOS:

Head-on impact between cars traveling in excess of 100 mph are often fatal to all occupants.

*you may mail the Pulitzer prize to helios@.....
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
1:30 PM EDT
helios, but those ABS (automatic braking systems) and airbags protect drivers from their own mistakes.

I am not making this up- I know a number of people who believe that.

I want to join a different race, these humans are giving me headaches.
Kagehi

Nov 05, 2005
1:47 PM EDT
Yes but.. If you use Windows at all, you can't *not* use IE. If not as your browser, then as the only update means or your file manager, or your desktop, or... well, I think you see my point. ;) lol
Koriel

Nov 05, 2005
3:20 PM EDT
Helios, does that go for Volvo's also :)
jimf

Nov 05, 2005
5:13 PM EDT
Do the math Koriel, not much survives a 200mph crash ;-)
Bob_Robertson

Nov 05, 2005
5:30 PM EDT
Rather than airbags, what would truly stop tailgating and bad driving: The drivers-side SPIKE.

I large, steel spike out of the center of the steering wheel.

I thought California was bad, but North Carolina drivers seem to think they're all in a stock-car race. They tailgate single-digit feet behind each other at highway speeds, and chronically cut corners while running stop signs at the same time. Intersections are always littered with glass and plastic from shattered headlights/taillights.

Seriously, the *NIX style of programming is much more rational. The software/system will do what you tell it to do. Period. "rm -rf /"? Ok, whatever you say, done.

Internet Explorer is the logical result of form over function. At every turn, Microsoft decided to sacrifice security or system reliability for the sake of instantaneous click response or convenience. These decisions were made so many times that it cannot be fixed. Vista turns out not to be a re-write but just another hack on XP. Now Microsoft is saying that the release after Vista will be the real complete re-write, really, we promise this time, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Argh. I don't care that it might take 1/2 second after I right-click on a desktop icon before the file manipulation menu comes up, because I know without doubt that not only will it come up my system will not need a thereputic reboot EVER. (well, ok, not quite true because I track Debian Unstable, but I know it will always be my fault).
jimf

Nov 05, 2005
6:02 PM EDT
LOL Bob, SC drivers 'are' in a stockcar race, and no one will ever 'really' know what is in Vista :)

I also know that, In spite of all the IE shortcuts, your menu will probably be up before the IE one, and, that my unstable-expermental Debian is far faster, more stable, and secure than any Windows / Vista will ever be.

The information is right in front of people, and whether it is laziness or ignorance, or iliteracy, I've just gotten to the point where I think that Windows users are geting exactly what they deserve.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
7:03 PM EDT
" Windows users are geting exactly what they deserve."

If only they didn't take down the entire Internet whilst getting their just desserts. I rather resent being collateral damage.
jimf

Nov 05, 2005
7:50 PM EDT
tuxchick,

Just consider this a survival of the fittest scenario, those running more secure systems have little to fear :D
mvermeer

Nov 06, 2005
4:50 AM EDT
jimf: unfortunately we do have to fear. Our secretary (and sometimes her virus-of-the-day) sends messages to a 100+ list of recipients containing personnel of two departments including me, neatly in view in the To: or Cc: list (Bcc:? Whazzat?).

The viruses just glide off my fur, but I must be in every spammer's data base by now.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 06, 2005
10:22 AM EDT
Yes, indeed, we do have to fear. And the fear is not in the abuses which nasty people do, but in the reaction to those abuses.

The overzealous DRM response, for example, from an industry terrified by what might happen. It's not just DRM being deployed by Sony, because I can choose not to install their stuff, but also the DMCA which I cannot merely choose not to abide.

Pro-active law enforcement endangers everyone. Any excuse for it is therefore a hazard, because those excuses are based upon fear.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!