I had to read it twice...

Story: Intel® Linux™ versus Microsoft® WindowsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
helios

Nov 05, 2005
7:03 PM EDT
It took two times to just partially ingest the impact of this move by Intel. I honestly thought about breathing into a brown paper bag. My heart pounded with the wave of understanding that this article brought to me.

Mark this day on your calendar of once-in-a-lifetime-events.

helios is speechless.
tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
7:20 PM EDT
Pretty great article. all right! Excellent work. Well-written and nicely organized. The implications are huge- this is not the 'death by a thousand cuts' threat that Linux represents, but a much bigger, potentially more catastrophic threat to microsoft. Think about it: if a hardware vendor with the size and influence of Intel succeeds in opening these overseas markets, many more hardware vendors will follow- RAM, graphics, NIC, mobos, plus all the peripherals, the scanners, printers, cameras- this could be the wedge that breaks microshaft's grip.

But it won't mean the end of Microsoft. Quite the opposite- once you get people buying computers, the market broadens for everyone. But I doubt that the current leadership of microsoft sees this, since they seem to be pathologically bent on owning the world by any means except merit and good service. Anyone remember the Aesop's fable about the dog crossing the bridge? He had a bone in his mouth. When he saw his reflection in the water, he thought it was another dog with a bone, and tried to take it away. Of course by snapping at his own reflection he lost everything.
peabrain1

Nov 05, 2005
7:55 PM EDT
Tuxchick....The ramifications for increase in Linux Development alone makes my hands shake...and no I am not over-reacting. This is...this is a neck-jarring left turn. No, it won't mean the end of MS...It means a catastrophic outbreak of Linux. As you pointed out: many more hardware vendors will follow- RAM, graphics, NIC, mobos, plus all the peripherals, the scanners, printers, cameras- this could be the wedge that breaks microshaft's grip.

And I have to sleep tonight...good luck with that.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!