FreeBsd

Story: Move Over Linux! FreeBSD 6.0 Is HereTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
zibulon

Nov 08, 2005
4:43 AM EDT
Is it GPL or not!. Questions is simple but implications are substantial. GPL means you use our code to do your code therefore we have the right to see it, us it for the benefit of all.

Does FreeBSD live by the GPL. This is what I'm not sure of.
slippery

Nov 08, 2005
5:02 AM EDT
It is NOT GPL.

The BSDs have their own license that is more liberal than the GPL. IIRC, all it requires is attribution. That makes it more friendly to proprietary vendors because they can embed that code in devices or other software and not have to release it.

From you angle, it is bad because it does NOT require sharing modified versions of the code. (I happen to agree).

From a practical view, I've run many BSD systems and they are fine for servers but can't compete on desktops due to driver issues. While Linux lags Windows, BSD lags Linux as far as drivers.
tadelste

Nov 08, 2005
6:42 AM EDT
Slippery. I did an article on the DoD getting a FIPS 140 certification for OpenSSH source code. The department decided to raise the money to go through the certification process because "name brand DoD" vendors were selling OpenSSH without attribution for incredible amounts. It cost them less to get the certification on their own.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7644/print

This article title makes me laugh. "Move over human this mouse is taking over now."
tuxchick

Nov 08, 2005
4:04 PM EDT
why the negative votes? FreeBSD is a perfectly good OS, and the article was a simple announcement.
dinotrac

Nov 08, 2005
5:11 PM EDT
Tuxchick -

Did you just feel a rip in the fabric of the universe?

I believe we agree completely.

FreeBSD is free software, a **Good Thing**

FreeBSD's ports system was the progenitor of Gentoo and source-based Linux distributions.

FreeBSD is a fine OS.

I used to keep a FreeBSD box because of a client and, for all intents and purposes, forgot it was there it was so reliable.

Personally, I prefer Linux, but FreeBSD is a fine and honorable choice, especially as a server OS.

tuxchick

Nov 08, 2005
8:07 PM EDT
Oh, I thought it was my pants when I was scrubbing the floor. Better the fabric of the universe should rip than my pants.

I always laugh when some spokesweasel for a company whines about "more software should be released under a BSD license, so we can take it for free and use it and not contribute anything back and get rich, rich, filthy rich I tell you!"

All the BSDs are quite good. They're not Linux, and they don't need to be.
jimf

Nov 08, 2005
8:38 PM EDT
I have a friend who has been running BSD as a desktop for some time and is quite happy with it. Suposedly the next release of DesktopBSD is going to be quite spectacular. Still, the fact that it runs the linux pieces as non-native seems to me may be a disadvantage.
dinotrac

Nov 09, 2005
3:23 AM EDT
tuxchick -

Spokesweasels being spokesweasels, we should be glad that they don't demand BSD programmers wash their cars and take out their trash.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!