oh goodie, more Trusted Computing

Story: Windows AntiSpyware becomes 'Defender'Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 08, 2005
4:03 PM EDT
No need to fix the leaks, just bail faster. And we can trust Microsoft to not partner with evil outfits like Sony, can't we.

I feel much more secure now.
dinotrac

Nov 08, 2005
5:15 PM EDT
This is an issue that John Dvorak, of all people, nailed.

With Microsoft selling this Defender product, Microsoft has an obvious conflict of interest. If they fix the OS, they kill the other product.
sabre307

Nov 08, 2005
7:10 PM EDT
Something I have found as rather humerous about that, is that SpyBot finds the new "malicious software removal tool" as spyware and wants to remove it. Hmmmm!!
tadelste

Nov 08, 2005
7:13 PM EDT
Dino: would you call that a Cosmic Joke?
dinotrac

Nov 09, 2005
3:39 AM EDT
Tom -

I believe Cosmic Joke™ has already been assigned to a certain OS coming out of Redmond. This would be more like "So what else is new?"
tadelste

Nov 09, 2005
4:43 AM EDT
Dino: ROFL, very clever.
Tsela

Nov 09, 2005
6:26 AM EDT
I'd call this: "Spybot is an efficient and knowledgeable program, which recognises spyware when it sees it" ;) .

I'm still waiting for a *true* anti-virus program, i.e. a program that will say, when run: "Found Windows on this computer. To prevent anti-virus infections, please delete Windows and install Linux. Delete Windows and Install Linux Y/N? [Y]".

OK, a bit intrusive maybe. But we are used to doing similar things in real epidemics among animals (look at how the mad cow disease was treated, or the bird flu now), and I don't see why we should treat Windows better than we treat real live beings (actually, I think we should treat real live beings a bit better than that, but that's another discussion :) ).

It is time to declare a state of sanitary emergency in the computing world, and begin the necessary slaughterings. It'll be painful, but it's better doing it now than later, when the problem is even bigger...
PaulFerris

Nov 09, 2005
7:15 AM EDT
Tsela: Only Karmic if that kind of functionality emerges. This is exactly how M$ DOS used to treat OS/2.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!