I don't trust Mr Markoff

Story: Internet Services Crucial, Microsoft Memos SayTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
ralph

Nov 08, 2005
10:51 PM EDT
It is just me, but after what Mr Markoff did to Kevin Mitnick, I don't trust him. I can't get to the story because I won't accept cookies, but considering who wrote it, I don't mind much.
tuxchick

Nov 09, 2005
6:56 AM EDT
Severian, IMO Mitnick was a thief and a con man who deserved jail time- do you have a different perspective? I don't understand why so many folks think he is a hero.
dinotrac

Nov 09, 2005
6:57 AM EDT
tuxchick -

This is getting scary, but...ditto.
number6x

Nov 09, 2005
7:18 AM EDT
Tuxchick and dinotrac,

Mitnick was a small time thief and a con-man. if he was treated as such he woulkd have been a nobody.

The people that wanted to turn him into some super-villain world conquering menace were just as wacky as the people who put him on a pedestal like some hero.

He is a good example:

Show how easy it is to get past most security. If Mitnick could do it, think about what the smarter more knowledgeable crackers can do.

He is a good example:

Show how wacky law enforcement can be when they over-react and loose perspective. My god, Mitnik got someone to fax him some blue prints! Call the Army! Call the Navy! Where are my ICBM's? Oh by the way The CFO is scamming our stock holders and draining billions out of the company, do you think we can give him a golden parachute and let him go quietly? Maybe the Mitnick story will distract people for a while.

ralph

Nov 09, 2005
10:34 AM EDT
tuxchick, Kevin is not a great person. I won't say he is. But, he was a petty thief who did not deserve the treatment he got. He was held for a prolonged period with no communications with the outside world. This was because Mr Markoff had scared the judge into believing that Kevin was some sort of threat to mankind. Kevin maybe should have served 30 days in a county lockup. But, he got much more and Mr Markoff greatly contributed to the perception of hackers as dangers to society.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!