the short of the long?

Story: California Suing Sony Over Rootkit DRMTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
colesen9

Nov 10, 2005
10:38 AM EDT
I haven't read any of the links - but I guess the issue is about installing software without the users knowledge or consent. I see 2 options for Sony. Either remove the copy protection software. Or write on both the CD and the case that playing the CD on a PC requires install of copy protection software. In a place and in large enough letters that no one can miss it. Don't con the consumer.
ralph

Nov 10, 2005
11:20 AM EDT
But it is worse than that. The notice would also have to inform the user that the protection software will make the users machine more vulnerable to atteck. If they were honest about that, who would buy the disk, though?
sharkscott

Nov 10, 2005
11:43 AM EDT
Severian: Exactly!! Can you imagine the warning Label?

"By purchasing and installing this CD on you PC you will be making your computer more likely to be attacked by Viruses because of the nature of the Copyright Protection Software. We apologize for the inconvienence, please refer to the user rights and responsibilities on the back of the CD for more details."

I do not see how SONY can come out of this unscathed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!