Untitled

Story: A Higher Linux League For Ubuntu?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
devnet

Nov 10, 2005
1:58 PM EDT
"With the DB2 certification we can now see that business users will start to look at using Ubuntu for their more critical applications," Malcolm Yates, alliances and partner manager at Canonical, told internetnews.com.

Right...Ubuntu is known for its stability right? That's a joke. I remember when I did my first apt-get update, apt-get upgrade in 5-10. Broke it hard. I knew how to get it fixed...but do you really want that for your server? To me, Ubuntu is about Desktops and with DB2...it's about servers. This is a retarded notion and a retarded article.

Let's put it this way...DB2 is for "robust business applications". When I think of Robust business apps...I don't think of running Ubuntu.
tadelste

Nov 10, 2005
2:37 PM EDT
Hold on to your horses young fella. Don't be talking abou U-buntoo thata way.

Why, eire since we got it, it's worked as goodas Winders. Heck, that there memory leak in firefox works just fine and dandy. So, whad kinda complaining you doing bout U-buntoo? Stabilty. What's stability got ta do with nuthin anyhow?

I mean how much trouble can it be to just go re-boot a computer no how.

You take your boots off at night don't ya?

You fancy pants fellers need a whoppin' with your fancy names and boots.

I thought the same thing. It seems that IBM would have chosen a stable Linux like sarge 3.1. Intel did.

I do like the 5.10 desktop. I want a stable server. BTW, getting your software "Server Proven" on x86 hardware at IBM is no big deal. They give that designation away without an IBMer looking at it.
devnet

Nov 10, 2005
4:40 PM EDT
Agreed...

That's why I run CentOS for my fileserver and Slackware for my gateway. Stability. Heck, I still run the 2.4 series kernel...mainly because its MORE STABLE.

I wish I could explain it better than that but it's like this. I work for a Fortune 500 company that uses Linux, Windows, and Unix. They're still running W2K because it is stable and upgrading even to XP might prove to be a hassle. So when you think of big business...stability is key for most.
salparadise

Nov 11, 2005
2:26 AM EDT
Devnet: Have you tried Ubuntu installed in Server mode?
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
2:47 AM EDT
You guys might be interested in this new Linux that IBM is looking at.

If I understand it correctly, they started with desktop Ubuntu or something like that, spiffed up the interface a little bit, then replaced the kernel with one of their own.

They've even written their own internet browser, but it sucks eggs.

Kind of unstable at the moment, and has a few critical vulnerabilities, but they promise to fix all of that stuff in good time.

To make sure nobody boogers anything up, they don't distribute the source code, but most people don't need it anyway, right?

Not a very clever name, as I recall...Oh yeah!!! XP!!! Some outfit in Washington...

jimf

Nov 11, 2005
2:52 AM EDT
Oh dinotrac... that's cold :)
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
5:28 AM EDT
Jimf -

I specialize in cold.

;0)

tadelste

Nov 11, 2005
8:00 AM EDT
I read one of your cold posts on an article I wrote in 1999. Must be a genetic trait.
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
8:19 AM EDT
Tom --

I was a much different person in 1999. I've mellowed a lot since then. The alternatives were institutionalization or cremation.

OK. Maybe not that different...
devnet

Nov 11, 2005
11:06 AM EDT
"Devnet: Have you tried Ubuntu installed in Server mode?"

Nope...if I wanted a debian based server I'd install Debian or MEPIS SOHO.
jimf

Nov 11, 2005
11:42 AM EDT
devnet,

I agree. Both are proven solutions.
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2005
11:46 AM EDT
dino, they broke the mold before they made you.

cackling and running like heck....
salparadise

Nov 11, 2005
11:57 AM EDT
It's just that if you installed it in desktop mode not server mode, then ran it as a server and did an apt-get dist-upgrade on it and it broke...

There is a known bug (apparently) that dist upgrading from 5.04 to 5.10 breaks gnome.

Never-the-less, I agree wholeheartedly about preferring Debian proper.
dinotrac

Nov 11, 2005
12:49 PM EDT
tuxchick -

Hmmm. That explains a lot.

My mother keeps making vague references to "The surgery" and how she called my "Humpty" as a baby.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!