Kudos

Story: Novell Does a 180 on KDE SupportTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
bstadil

Nov 11, 2005
1:05 PM EDT
This is good news and we should applaud Novell for listening to their customers and react quickly to fix a mistep. Perfectly OK.
cjcox

Nov 11, 2005
1:52 PM EDT
Nothing has changed. They were never dropping KDE, only making Gnome the default (preferred) desktop.

Corporate spin at its finest.

Since they spin.. .I'll spin a bit.

1. The decision to go with Gnome is primarily driven by the need to avoid the large licensing fees for doing development with the Qt toolkit.

... While the licensing for corporate (non free) software using Qt does cost a pretty penny, There is no restriction on using Qt for free software (e.g. GPL) development. Gnome users (and in particular Red Hat) put this FUD out. Showing that any open source company can spin things.

2. Ximian... therefore Gnome... in the driver's seat... no need to say more.

3. When bonobo (Gnome's CORBA ORB) goes south... soes does the whole Gnome desktop. It goes south a lot.

4. Gnome users say that KDE presents too many options, too many ways of doing the same thing. This is the biggest lie of all. The fact is that the KDE/Qt toolkit makes building applications easier and thus there are more people building applications. Some of good quality and some bad. In fact, you'd be correct in saying that there are some poor quality KDE/Qt apps out there... why? Because the toolkit is that easy to use.

Gnome reminds me of Motif (it's better than Motif though).
tuxchick

Nov 11, 2005
3:26 PM EDT
Good for Novell. Officially supporting both KDE and Gnome makes them unique, I believe.
salparadise

Nov 11, 2005
10:41 PM EDT
What does "go south" mean in this context?

KDE is a cluttered environment compared to Gnome. For a timid new user (as opposed to a new power user) KDE can be overwhelming.
jimf

Nov 11, 2005
10:55 PM EDT
salparadise

goes south=goes bad or becomes broken

As far as interfaces, I've found new users like KDE better. I just don't see Gnome as being any easier to learn. I do think that what you start out with is usually what you will end up liking. So maybe it is just learned preference?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!