Ricochet metricom USB modems

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
hawaiione

Nov 14, 2005
4:37 PM EDT
It was time to say goodbye to Microsoft, and switch over to an true OS, Linux has been very good to me, except when my broadband connection went down. So I pulled out my trusty Ricochet Metricom USB modem and tried to get it to work with Ubuntu, didn't work, tried several other distro, same result. After doing some research, it can be done, but most of the links on the web to solve my problem doesn't work anymore. What is an Ricochet Modem? It is an wireless Internet modem that works on cell phone technology, and it is only available in a few areas. (www.ricochet.com) It works good with win, but it should work great with Linux. Back to my problem, can any of you Linux savy experts out there help me with this problem. The modem uses an dial up protocal, but Linux looks for dialup modems and not an USB device. PS, Ricochet supports USB2.0 I believe the latest kernal of Linux supports USB2.0, and the modem is listed in the hardware lists. My last word....Help...Thanks
gryphen

Nov 16, 2005
8:13 PM EDT
Hello, I can provide you with some answers. Please feel free to e-mail me at gryphen@lobby4linux.com and I'll get you started.

gryphen
dave

Nov 17, 2005
6:08 AM EDT
It's lame to solicit people to approach you privately for answers. He asked publicly, you should answer publicly. If not, then don't post.

Dave
cjcox

Nov 17, 2005
10:38 AM EDT
NTLUG has used Richochet (back before the bankruptcy) many times on Linux. We used to go to conferences and wire up using Ricochet and offer our neighbors free internet (to avoid the enormous costs of internet on the show floor).

I know I could get 200Kb+ most of the time. Hightly recommended. Acts like a high speed serial modem as far as Linux is concerned. Last version I tried was the USB version. You'll get a /dev/usb/ttyACM0 (or something like that) to use as your modem.

I miss Ricochet... I know the antennas are still up around my neighborhood. Maybe one fo the local municipalities is operting it still... don't know.

Ricochet may have updated their hardware a bit... so I can't guarantee anything, just know they worked well with Linux a couple of years ago.
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2005
10:46 AM EDT
Vendors love to play musical chipsets without mentioning it anywhere in the specs or changing the model numbers, so the networking gadget that worked great yesterday becomes today's paperweight. Quite annoying. Use the 'lsusb' command to get the chipset information, then you can find out if it's even supported in Linux. If it isn't, please flame the vendor.

You cannot post until you login.