I hope this is a continuing feature

Story: LXer Feature: Welcoming Newcomers to Linux and FOSS, or, the Least You Can Do is Not Chase Noobs AwayTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Nov 15, 2005
12:04 PM EDT
Many, perhaps most points need repetition. My first answer to a Linux question was a response from a individual that is essence meant: Linux was his/her play thing and the hoi polloi would just ruin everything.
Tsela

Nov 15, 2005
12:10 PM EDT
Strangely enough, my experience is completely opposite. I've only ever received nice and helpful replies to my questions. Maybe I'm just choosing the right people to ask instinctively ;) . Even when I filed a bug report to Debian with the wrong label, I got a really nice reply which pointed out my mistake extremely politely, and even corrected it!

On the other hand, don't start me about the so-called Windows "community", help forums, etc... I never got a useful reply from those people, and most often my very polite and informed questions were answered with flames.

Of course, YMMV...
tadelste

Nov 15, 2005
12:30 PM EDT
I've seen both sides. So, I understand you having different experiences.

Lately, I'm seeing more friendliness than before.

jimf

Nov 15, 2005
12:40 PM EDT
When I first started in Linux, hostle or rude responses were not uncommon. The situation has gradually gotten better. Most people will now, at least try to, give you a civil answer.
helios

Nov 15, 2005
3:54 PM EDT
"we don't need FUD or propaganda to make the point. Just the facts...oroblem is and will remain so...anytime there is a comparison of product a to product b, there will be some that construe it as Fud. If I tell you quite pointedly that The linux file system works without a registry, you can count on those who will respond. "aha! THATS why Linux fails...It Has no REGISTRY."

therefore the fud flies furiously fast.

helios

jimf

Nov 15, 2005
4:15 PM EDT
"aha! THATS why Linux fails...It Has no REGISTRY."

Wow helios! Now I know why Linux is so prone to crashing.

Good one :D.
tuxchick

Nov 15, 2005
4:18 PM EDT
Doesn't Gnome have a Registry? so we're OK!
jimf

Nov 15, 2005
4:23 PM EDT
Oh no! a sneaky attempt by Gnome to get Windows users to choose them :)

Talk about Byzantine.
dinotrac

Nov 15, 2005
4:35 PM EDT
Byzantine?

Ain't that some kind of Chocolate Drink for business people?
TxtEdMacs

Nov 15, 2005
7:09 PM EDT
Forgot to mention that I was reading "Linux for Dummies".
jimf

Nov 15, 2005
7:22 PM EDT
dinotrac: Definitely a business drink... Not sure it's chocolate though.
mvermeer

Nov 16, 2005
2:17 AM EDT
Doesn't Gnome have a Registry? so we're OK!

Yes it has... sort of. I know, because I ended up editing it using gconf, when I upgraded from Evo 1.4 (Fedora Core 2) or such to 2.2 (FC4). Couldn't find its mail signature files... the paths had changed.

The good news is that it's not one file, but a directory tree full of XML files. (But I'm sure someone can construe this as a weakness :-/ )
helios

Jan 01, 2006
6:35 AM EDT
As this is ressurected, let me point the way to THE EXACT person Carla may be talking about. I will supply the text here and the link as well for those who doubt.

Re: Linux - Why This Is Not The Time Linux is not about "coming out" for other people to try. Frankly, folks here in the open source community could care less if you folks try Linux or not. Only recent converts who do not know anything about Linux try to promote it. It's a cultural thing, ok. It's a community. Japanese people don't tell the whole world that they should all become Japanese. You do not expect people in Europe to use Chinese yen. We do not expect your relatives to try Linux.

By the way, if you expect Linux to be like Windows, you are not part of our community because we expect members of our community to be smarter than that, and check for hardware compatibility BEFORE they buy hardware ... if you do not do that, you do not know the first thing about our community, and we do not want you in it.

Now, that being said ... once folks realize that we do not want them in our community, then they will want to come into it all the more. People always want what they can not have. And until you understand how our community works you can not come in. To be a member of our community you must stop trying to use American dollars in our European grocery. We do not accept that currency. That is, the ignorance of the customs of our community.

The custom is RTFM.

http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=28

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!