Is it just me or is Bill Gates a greedy bastard?

Story: Microsoft eyes making desktop apps freeTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
peragrin

Nov 16, 2005
11:56 AM EDT
Every time I here Bill Speak he wants Hardware to be free, and Applications to be free, but to charge $200 for the FSCKing OS?

Hardware actually has a per unit cost to produce. Software doesn't. Applications tend to have shorter lifespans, so they have a higher continual cost that the OS.(there are no per unit costs for Software, except for packaging which is negilible and rarely needed)

The Operating System should be free, whether Freeware, or F/OSS. Applications should range all over the place. CAD and high end tools require more cash than yet another browser or office suite.

Yet Bill Gates wants the world to pay for the privilege of running Windows and everything else is free, including the hardware.

On this note I am calling Dell, and demand they give me a new PC, and 20" flat panel, and oh 43" plasma, yes that doesn't even need an OS so I shouldn't even have to pay for shipping.
tadelste

Nov 16, 2005
12:29 PM EDT
It's not just you.
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2005
3:44 PM EDT
Whatever you think of microshaft, I find it encouraging that are being forced to face competition that they are unable to buy out or squish out of existence, like Linux and Google, and are forced to respond by trying some different strategies. It may even someday occur to them to try fair pricing, quality products, and good service.

Shut up, it could happen.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!