hardware virtualization

Story: Microsoft Virtual Server R2 ships with Linux supportTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 16, 2005
5:42 PM EDT
Aside from the folly of running a Windows server as the host operating system, this sounds pretty interesting. Check out the part about virtualization being built into the hardware- now that has possibilities.
greensky

Nov 16, 2005
10:02 PM EDT
I don't think the whole virtualization is built into the hardware. My understanding is that the hardware virtualization allows multiple operating systems to operate at lower levels on the processor without screwing up. Less stuff has to be emulated and this causes the emulation to work a lot better.

On another note, anyone using a Microsoft product to run a non-Microsoft friendly technology is asking for trouble. MS did a great number on Dr. Dos with Win 3.11 (having it crash on purpose). It wouldn't suprise me to see that Linux systems didn't perform as well under the Microsoft emulator. It wouldn't have to be purposeful like their Dr. Dos issue, but I'm sure they won't bother to test Linux under their emulator as well as Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!