Complete and utter rubbish!

Story: Open source renders patching a problemTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 18, 2005
7:34 AM EDT
Gawdlmighty dang, this article sets a new low, even for ZDNet. It's disorganized, illogical, and devoid of pertinent facts- such as the fact that Linux has long had superior patch management. Geez, I wish I could get paid to be that ignorant and idiotic.
sbergman27

Nov 18, 2005
8:48 AM EDT
OK. I know being polite is rule #1 of good advocacy, but I felt like breaking the rules today.

Below is my emailed response to Mr. Mullins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand your story "Open source renders patching a problem".

Could you please explain how patching is a problem with Open Source software? Why is it important that they use third party software?

You do understand that all major Linux distros come with automated patch management, right? Fedora uses yum and an automatic yum nightly updates. Debian uses APT. Mandrake uses urpmi. Suse uses yast2. RedHat uses up2date and their RedHat Network allows the administrator to control and customize automated, fault tolerant patching of thousands of RHEL servers from a central web interface. The list goes on.

And you do understand that there is no "RedHat Linux" product anymore. Right?

Also, since you don't seem well informed on Open Source security, I should mention that distributions do not always upgrade to the latest package in their security patches. Often they back port the patch to an earlier version so as to make the smallest change possible while still patching the vulnerability. I only mention that because I suspect it could be a source of confusion to you.

Before asking that people think before sending you angry comments, you should start doing proper research before writing your articles. It's what you are getting paid to do. And it is what your readers have a right to expect.

Sincerely, Steve Bergman
tuxchick

Nov 18, 2005
9:21 AM EDT
If that's your idea of a flame, well, it barely emitted warmth. :)

That's a very good response. I submitted a Talkback, we'll see if they deign to post it.
sbergman27

Nov 18, 2005
10:28 AM EDT
Well, it was one of those politely worded, politically correct emails that basically says "I think you are an ignoramous". The packaging was good advocacy. The message was not. But today... I DON'T CARE. ;-)

-Steve

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!