Move along folks, nothing to see here for quite a while yet

Story: Anti-virus for Linux StandGuard from BytwareTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Nov 20, 2005
2:33 AM EDT
Not only are Linux viruses scarcer'n hen's teeth and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, but the market also has free, safe, reliable, Open Source offerings in this area.

I have one client site set up with AMaViS feeding ClamAV and then a very good, very fast-responding "commercial" virus scanner (which shall remain nameless because I think they do a very good job, but this situation makes them look bad). In two years, the non-FOSS virus scanner has never reported a virus: ClamAV got them all. Thousands of the suckers.

I still use the "commercial" scanner on MS-Windows desktops because their shims for detecting viruses on the fly have no reasonable FOSS equivalent that I know of. Yet.
jdixon

Nov 20, 2005
4:37 AM EDT
> I still use the "commercial" scanner on MS-Windows desktops because their shims for detecting viruses on the fly have no reasonable FOSS equivalent that I know of. Yet.

Winpooch, http://winpooch.sourceforge.net/ Though it only works on the NT based Windows, not Windows 98 or Me. It uses Clamwin as its backend.

AnonymousCoward

Nov 20, 2005
5:01 PM EDT
Ta!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!