Paris should be an early supporter of Open Data Format (ODF)

Story: Paris accelerates move to open sourceTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Nov 21, 2005
6:26 AM EDT
Does anyone have contacts there, that would allow them to suggest this route?
tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
8:12 AM EDT
I believe that GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR has some contacts there and he speaks French fluently. Other than that, I thought they resigned for everything.

tuxchick

Nov 21, 2005
1:03 PM EDT
Ok editor in chief, I gotta call you on that one. France has been a great friend to the US. Remember that pesky ole American Revolution? If not for France, we probably would be British subjects today. They have consistently supported the US in our various harebrained adventures in the world, even when other allies wouldn't tag along. I know it's a staple of "comedians" to joke about France surrendering, but remember that France lost hundreds of thousands of soldiers in the two world wars, hundreds of thousands of civilians, and was occupied and nearly destroyed by one of the most ruthless regimes ever.

Just thought I'd mention it. :)

tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
2:28 PM EDT
tuxchick: I'm all for us supporting France. For example, in this latest round of riots, I asked the President to send troops. He agreed and we sent 5 troops.

I'm proud of our commitment to the French. And now I understand why they opposed us in the war it wasn't a difference in philosophy. It was just money.

Just thought I would mention that too.

J'également parle et lis français, mon cher ami.

OK. we have contacts. Where's Tsela?
tuxchick

Nov 21, 2005
2:40 PM EDT
Your unrepentance is inspiring!
tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
2:56 PM EDT
OK. I repent. damnez-le
Tsela

Nov 21, 2005
3:02 PM EDT
Tom, busy packing! (and I should be in bed by now) I'm right now in the last curve getting to the finishing line. this and next week will be hectic, so I will not be very talkative. But be sure I'll follow and will comment when I get the time (and when Dave has Internet access again and can send me the URL of my picture, I may have a Day Desk article or two in the backburner - in my head. They aren't written, but are close to that. I hope it's no problem to react to something I've read in a business magazine and something I've seen in a consumer tv program. I'll get URLs, but there's the language problem of course -).

About this thread, I'll take what you say as humour. Although I've moved to the Netherlands (and am planning to change nationality) because I couldn't cope with the rampant hypocrisy in France, there are times when even the French government does things right, and not always for their own gain. The resistance of France against the war against Irak has cost it billions (and thus millions in taxes for the government). So it wasn't a money problem. It was a knowledge issue. France has historically always had an important link with Arabic countries, and French officials understand more than many others how those countries work. France has also had its share of Moslim terrorism in the end 80's and begin 90's, so they have quite some experience with it. They just knew what would happen with the war against Irak and the War on Terror in general, and that's why they are staying out of it.

As I said, although I'm the first one to criticise France when it deserves it, I will cut them some slack when they do something right. It's not often, but even a broken clock gives the right time twice a day ;) .
tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
3:29 PM EDT
Tsela: Yes it was an attempt at humor and it failed miserably.

We do need to tap our friends and see if we can assist with the ODF. Since it is becoming an ISO Standard, I would guess that adoption would start in France and Switzerland (my ancestral home) and move outward. Our friends at Mandriva would push ODF since they maintain OOo and KDE office branches.

We also need to contact the OASIS team and get the status of France. I'm on that list and will write.

Take care.
tuxchick

Nov 21, 2005
3:53 PM EDT
That was an attempt at being funny? oops. sorry. I promise to laugh next time. The Patton reference should have tipped me off.

signed, Chief Engineer on the Over-Literal Geek Train

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!