*MY* granny uses her Linux account when she visits

Story: Granny Finds Linux/KDE Easier Than WindowsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
infoport

Nov 22, 2005
8:09 AM EDT
My Granny uses her Linux account at my house when she visits. She mostly uses it to check her mail through the webmail interface of her broadband provider. At 87 she doesn't have any problem adjusting from one browser to the next, loggin-in with the password we setup, etc. I would install Linux on her home computer, except that her visitors and those who help her with computer things at home aren't as flexible and might freak out. She lives a good distance away, so while I am sometimes-tech-support for her, I cannot go to her machine for regular tasks. I was not there to setup her newest computer, but as far as using Linux on other computers, she has no problem with the change even without having lots of time to get used to it. Actually, the sensitivity of my mouse vs. hers is more of a problem!
purplewizard

Nov 22, 2005
11:29 AM EDT
My mum (who is a granny too) uses Linux at home and doesn't have any problems. Getting around to sorting out the printer took me a while mind you. I wanted to set her up with Ubuntu which I use but ended up having to put her on Mepis because Ubuntu seems a pain in the bottom to use with a modem.

But back on usage, I don't think my nieces have had a problem using the machine when they visit her except with regards what to click when they want to connect to the internet. Mainly because it doesn't produce an automatic box saying "connect to the internet?" when they start the browser.

My mum is only late 60s though. (Most of her friends don't seem to have any problems either and they are mainly grannies too!)
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
6:39 PM EDT
Nobody has trouble using Linux. It's a myth. A lie created by little creepy, crawly people in Redmond, Washington. Hell, they even have Steve Jobs believing he can't sell an OS and make money.

helios

Nov 22, 2005
7:07 PM EDT
Tom's right. Linux' geeky reputation preceeds it, unfortunately, the huge improvements in usability and new user friendliness does not. We are heavily involved with many Senior assisted living centers and middle schools here in Austin and this is what we have found. 12 year old kids and 84 year old great grandmothers are finding Linux (we advocate pclinuxos) easy and it more than meets their needs.

I take personal pleasure in telling people this right after they complain to me that Linux is "just too hard."

helios
jimf

Nov 22, 2005
7:20 PM EDT
Let's carry that a step further. I see a large number of Linux users in their 60's now. Most are more knowledgeable than the younger guys, and, many have adopted Linux as a major interest.
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2005
8:13 PM EDT
tom, you left out "sweaty."

And my grannies can beat up your grannies.

Well, if they were still alive they could.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!