Intel Linux Push

Story: Intel starts big client Linux pushTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
henke54

Nov 22, 2005
10:17 PM EDT
[Ed: It's us by the way. -tadelste] yep ... -->

http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/22/1950218...
helios

Nov 23, 2005
4:17 AM EDT
It would be foolish to think that MS is going to let this go without some sort of sanction against Intel. I am just not creative enough to forecast what it will be. Will it be an overt, transparent slap along side the head or will it be a more subtle method of punishment?

I'm curious to know what you think.

helios
jimf

Nov 23, 2005
6:45 AM EDT
The wheels have gotten pretty loose on the MS little red wagon, that wouldn't be too bad except someone seems to have misplaced the #10 spanner, and, they must use pliers which are rounding the nuts, and, while they struggle with that all the dogs pulling the cart are running in different directions, and, no one has time to pay attention to keeping the dogs in line, and all the time the wolves keep nipping at the heels of poor noble Microsoft... Will beating the dogs make them pull harder and run in line, or is it better to give them a treat? Ah, decisions decisions, the trials and tribulations of being Microsoft!
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
8:16 AM EDT
The interesting thing about the depth and strength of Microsoft's collusion with hardware vendors is how much the hardware vendors dance to Microsoft's tune. The hardware market is shallow- only two microchip makers that matter (Intel and AMD), only three PC-BIOS companies that matter (AMI, Phoenix, VIA) and the i86 architecture dominates, so there are no competing hardware platforms for Microsoft to use as leverage. In other words, the hardware vendors should have the upper hand. After all, there are many operating systems that run on i86, but only one architecture that Windows runs on. Microsoft needs them more than they need Microsoft. Yet Microsoft holds the whip hand. How did this come to be? Why do the hardware companies let Microsoft call the shots, to the point of limiting their own customer bases, and eliminating their independence? It's nuts. Maybe there are a lot of missing cheerleaders, and Microsoft has the photos?

So Intel going overseas is a canny move. It's too bad they don't have the nads to do it in the US, but that should come in time after they develop strong markets elsewhere.

tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
8:18 AM EDT
BTW, congratulations on capturing the attention of the Inquirer!
TxtEdMacs

Nov 23, 2005
11:05 AM EDT
Not toeing the MS line can result in retribution even to the strongest players. Anyone notice that Dell suppliers are not specifying AMD compatible hardware components for mass sales to Dell.

Just an accident or was Dell told this would be a smiled upon move? Impossible, just a good business decision bearing ill will towards none and large financial returns for the few. No conspiracy - really, just business as usual.
jimf

Nov 23, 2005
12:01 PM EDT
"Microsoft needs them more than they need Microsoft."

Just maybe, Intel is starting to realize that.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 23, 2005
12:27 PM EDT
I blew it:
Quoting: "... notice that Dell suppliers are not specifying AMD compatible hardware components ..."

Replace the "not" with "now", now doesn't that read differently.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!