A MacTel is not a PC...

Story: The Biggest Threat to Microsoft Might Not Be Those G-men at All, but AppleTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 23, 2005
8:29 AM EDT
It is an overpriced (unless you value hype that much) DRM-enabled trap resembling a PC, but like the DRM discs containing music without being CD's, it only resembles a stock PC.

P in PC stands for Personal. My computer is not Personal if Apple or anybody else holds the keys to control it.

If the Windows using masses want to switch one proprietary prison for another... Well, it's their party.
tadelste

Nov 23, 2005
12:42 PM EDT
I'm mostly sad because if I did decide to go with a Mac, I couldn't build my own system. Who needs someone to assemble what I already assemble and put a sticker on it for me?

I can put my own label on it.
r_a_trip

Nov 23, 2005
1:14 PM EDT
I can put my own label on it.

Not only that. If you build it, you are Free to put any software on it that has agreeable licensing terms. No digital locks treating you like a criminal.
helios

Nov 23, 2005
5:29 PM EDT
I can put my own label on it...

With the components YOU choose to put into it. I read somewhere that people are stocking up on top of the line boards and chips, in the event the DRM hardware police take charge soon. At least they will have enough hardware for two or three computers down the road. At first, I dismissed it as parinoid but after giving it some thought, I had to wonder...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!