A great idea...but not enough....

Story: Browser Makers to Give Trusted Sites a Green LookTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dinotrac

Nov 23, 2005
11:37 AM EDT
Lots of colorblind folks out here in the world, as any trip to Old Country Buffet or Wal-Mart will tell you.
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
11:47 AM EDT
And in perfect perverse human fashion, red-green color blindness is the most common, affecting between 5-10% of men. (Hardly any women have any color blindness, which is yet another indicator of our inherent wonderfulness.) So what colors do we make traffic lights and warning/status lights? And Christmas itself?
dinotrac

Nov 23, 2005
11:51 AM EDT
tuxchick --

!!samtsirhC yrreM oh - oh -oh

So to speak.
jimf

Nov 23, 2005
11:54 AM EDT
And how difficult is it gonna be to emulae a green site? Seems to me that someone will try doing that right away.

So women are really green... and all this time it thought... oh well. :D
bdumm

Nov 23, 2005
12:04 PM EDT
yea the idea of trust is great

what i have seen as the solutions to that isn't exciting from both the color blind perspective, impersonation perspective (ie it was green i thought it was ebay), and so on.

just a magic cert for the transport or we are a real site cert isn't going to solve the problems. it has to go much deeper than that. I want to trust every damn process between me and the bank. Not just that hey I am at the bank.... woohoo

tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
1:31 PM EDT
bdumm, those are good points. so the url bar turns color- so? how does that mean any more than clicking on the little padlock to see a VeriSign certificate or whatever? Until they can guarantee against DNS hijacking and spoofing, none of it means very much.
mvermeer

Nov 23, 2005
10:59 PM EDT
Hardly any women have any color blindness, which is yet another indicator of our inherent wonderfulness.

More like an indicator of how good you females are at covering up your inherent flaws, what with two X chromosomes doing the job of one ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!