Lxer's not the only Media Scold

Story: Internet entrepreneur to take on traditional journalismTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tadelste

Nov 23, 2005
3:43 PM EDT
I saw this article on another site. He's putting the fear into the newspapers.

It's about time.

The Internet rulez.
richo123

Nov 23, 2005
5:39 PM EDT
I agree Tom. Interesting speculation about Wikipedia being the vehicle for taking on newspapers and that anger over the prewar Iraq lies and media supineness about this was partly the motivation.

I think however that he will need to think long and hard about quality control. A lot of blogs are just speculative garbage....
tadelste

Nov 23, 2005
6:52 PM EDT
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought he was politically oriented the other direction. I don't think he was upset about alleged prewar lies but what the media has done lately. They were for it then and against it now.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 24, 2005
9:54 AM EDT
Quoting: " ... A lot of blogs are just speculative garbage....

Agreed! Now tell me the difference between those and the print press including TV "News" coverage.
dinotrac

Nov 24, 2005
10:55 AM EDT
txt -

And a lot of the other blogs are not just speculative garbage.

Blogs and traditional news organizations have a strange symbiosis -

The blogs can't live without somebody to gather the news.

I am also convinced that the traditional news organizations cannot survive without the prodding they get from the blogs to do a better job. That last part may be wishful thinking, but the generally dismal opinion of journalists cannot be hurt by holding their feet to the fire.
jimf

Nov 24, 2005
11:17 AM EDT
dinotrac, I agree with what you are saying. Eventually this may lead to better reporting and comentary from all. The problem right now is that both the traditional news and the blogs are, for all practial purposes, garbage and various brands of FUD. The good info is out there, but it's damned hard to dig it out. What that means, is that most people are just repeating rumors.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!