Moron!

Story: Infinite Loop: Taking a fstab at LinuxTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Nov 24, 2005
9:19 PM EDT
ln -s /mnt/floppy ~/c: ln -s /mnt/floppy ~/C:

Problem solved.

"Ah! Ah! The sky is falling! Linux is unusable! It's not identical to MS-Windows! Aaah! Aaaaaagh!"

Mmmmmmmmoron!
salparadise

Nov 24, 2005
9:49 PM EDT
Why use the letter "C", what's wrong with "A"? (If you're trying to make it as "Win like" as possible).
AnonymousCoward

Nov 25, 2005
2:35 AM EDT
As you wish. Perhaps M: to remind him to not act like a moron?

The thing that gets right up my nose is that his Linux "did not recognise" the floppy drive. Linux recognised the floppy drive, but he didn't! And he's too dense to even report that little mishap correctly. Admittedly, it is typical of the responses you get in the field, but he's supposed to be computer literate.
salparadise

Nov 25, 2005
4:32 AM EDT
Agreed.
helios

Nov 25, 2005
5:04 AM EDT
OK...just go ahead and roll your eye's now and take the deep breath of patience, I know you've heard me say this before.

This is just another example of how MS and AOL have dumbed down an entire generation of Computer Users. People think because they can use add/remove programs in the control panel, that they are computer gurus. I hold them partially responsible for their lack of know-how, but the two afore-mentioned entities deserve their fair share of the blame. This kind of mentality (or lack thereof) is what Linux Advocates face daily when providing support to the new users under their wing.

I would love about 10 minutes in this guys email account to see the private responses...I would imagine it's quite brutal.
salparadise

Nov 25, 2005
5:24 AM EDT
Yes, The typical response seems to be "eek! alien OS, alien environment, I don't know this therefore I can't get anything done".

Self-fulfilling prophecy.
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
6:21 AM EDT
On a good day, I more or less agree with helios and sal. These people have been brainwashed and I feel some sympathy. Today, I'm gonna call it like it is. Most of these guys are just ignorant sob's and cling to their ignorance like it was some kind of glowing virtue. Unwilling or unable to learn, or even try to learn, anything new, they are either lazy, or stupid or both. As such, they deserve MS and AOL.
helios

Nov 25, 2005
6:53 AM EDT
We have more common ground on this than you think:

"Are these people going out and exploring alternatives to Windows? Please. That would mean they actually would have to expend some mental energy and increase the capacity of their brains. OR…is Windows so pervasive/invasive in our computing lives that they think they have no choice? Me? I could go either way on this one. I think both are equally plausable. Either way you want to go with it, there is no rational justification for throwing away a perfectly good computer because the software is corrupt, regardless of the affliction...."

http://lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=34
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
7:14 AM EDT
Speaking from a very negative perspective (I'm really there today :)); The stupid ones shouldn't have, and can't handle a multifunction computer. I'm pretty sure that these guys would be happy on a dedicated box with email, a word processor, and a few games; the ideal people to target for a thin client subscription service, and, AOL & MS will supply that soon.

The more intelligent(?) but calcified ones are obviously just lazy or too brainwashed to move on, and, my question is 'Are they even of benefit to the Linux and FOSS community?'. I really think that the answer is a resounding 'NO!'.
tuxchick

Nov 25, 2005
7:22 AM EDT
along with helios, I too shall repeat one of my fave rants: some people should never touch a computer. A PC is complex and difficult, and it's not for everyone. Microsoft has done more to damage computing than help it. Waaaaay more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!