PCLinuxOS 9.2

Story: Them Texans have done it againTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
salparadise

Nov 25, 2005
6:41 AM EDT
OK, I downloaded the recently released version of this to have a look. I have to admit I'm quite impressed.

In terms of out of the box appearance it leaves Ubuntu in the dust.

I still prefer Ubuntu/Debian, but as a starter distro -it's second to none.

I shall keep a copy around for new users who don't like brown.

lezard

Nov 25, 2005
6:48 AM EDT
I too have been quite impressed by PCLinuxOS. The only points that need to be adressed are : the website, which is not as usefull as it could be, and internationalization (quite hard to have due to limited space).
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
6:56 AM EDT
Sal: Since you prefer a Debian based Distro (as do I), Have you tried the latest Kanotix? Quite impressive and nearly as slick.
helios

Nov 25, 2005
8:07 AM EDT
Agreed, while I know there are Ubuntu fans here, I have to say that Kanotix is a beautiful debian representative. While the rpm nightmare has been fixed/addressed in pclos, many people hold the "once burned, twice shy" attitude toward rpms. For those who insist that an rpm package is equal to signs of the Anti-Christ, I offer them Kanotix...in fact my 12 year old daughter loves it. As well, the Kanotix Mini distro is absolutely amazing. I have it installed on a flash drive and its flawless. http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~bading/cpx-mini/

Can't have much better endorsements than kids.

helios
salparadise

Nov 25, 2005
10:08 PM EDT
Sal: Since you prefer a Debian based Distro (as do I), Have you tried the latest Kanotix? Quite impressive and nearly as slick.

Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded it on my spiffy new 2MB connection. I'll have a play over the weekend.

KDE is the main reason why I haven't tried too many KDE based distros. I'm not at all keen on KDE. Gnome is SO slick and elegant as compared to KDE's over fussy, option filled interface.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!