Linux and Black Friday

Story: Linux Desktops will get killed by Microsoft this ChristmasTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
smartlp

Nov 25, 2005
9:21 AM EDT
Has anybody seen online Linux hardware vendors with black Friday deals? I am looking to buy but I have a feeling that all the "deals" will be in the Microsoft world.

BTW, I did see that Fry's had their low-end Linspire box at $97.00!
wayne1932

Nov 25, 2005
10:04 AM EDT
I can recommend this Fry's machine. I have experience with three of them. My son, a friend of the family and myself have bought them. They need to have a CD burner if you need it. I put the emprex brand into them, (also from Fry's at $20) The only problem with any of the three has been an infant mortality when the hard drive died after two days. Fry's checked it, agreed that it was dead and pulled out a new box for me.

My son had an unused copy of XP Home that he installed on his machine, I installed Xandros on my friends machine dual booting with Win98SE, both play like a dream. I use my machine as an experimental machine, several hard drives with various distros. My main machine is dual boot with Win98SE, and Xandros.

My, my! are you sure about that $97 price? I have seen it as low as $159 on occasion. Maybe a black friday thing. I watch the Fry's ads ( I live in Dallas) but I'm in Florida on vacation this week.

tadelste

Nov 25, 2005
10:11 AM EDT
They are $97 and they're pretty good boxes. Quiet and modifiable.

I stuck IGB DDR in mine and got a Zalman fan. I added a DVD Dual Format Burner. Those are on sale for $29.

I also put Ubuntu on it and wrote over Linxpire.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!