dirty little secret

Story: Innovations: Firefox delivers on its promise -- and it's freeTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
helios

Nov 26, 2005
5:02 PM EDT
My sister is married to a mid-level manager at MS and is employed in Redmond. He knows on which side of the fence I reside and has told me in private moments that he himself detests the "MS" way of doing things. Being the quintessential opportunist, I asked him for an interview when he retires. He informed me that his "exit contract" strictly prohibited him from ANY media contact and publication for 5 years after retirement. You might ask: So whaddatheygonnado...pull him into a black Lincoln and take him for a ride? Well, as it turns out, that is closer to the truth than you think.

Anyway, he has told me, off the record (did I mess up by posting this?) that Firefox is single-handedly responsible for the increase of consumption for Maalox and other antacids, especially on the IE 7 teams. He also hinted that they have torn the code to Firefox apart in order to understand and use some of the function in IE7. I guess that's the chance you take when you open source a project, but I much rather prefer open source to the alternative. He has also hinted that he does too.

helios
tuxchick

Nov 26, 2005
5:31 PM EDT
gee helios, those are such vague clues no one who knows you would ever guess who you're talking about. ;)
tadelste

Nov 26, 2005
5:38 PM EDT
You broke a deep cover operative? It's a good thing you're retired. I'm submitting a request for an order returning you to active duty right away. So, you can accept a Distinguished Flying Cross. :)

helios

Nov 26, 2005
7:24 PM EDT
From The-Office-of-Oh-One-More-Thing-Or -Two

Two glaring omissions in this article. Security was not mentioned once, and I do believe I have read in at least 692 places that this might be an issue with IE. As well, there was nothing mentioned about the ability of Firefox extensions. I have turned Firefox into a superbrowser via choice extensions. The cynic in me wonders at the authors real intentions.
phsolide

Nov 27, 2005
7:31 AM EDT
I know a character at a file-server company that walks both sides of the file sharing line (NFS and SMB/CIFS).

He claims that IE is no longer on the radar at MSFT - MSFT uppper management believe that they've got the web locked up, and that's why IE remains so crappy (ever see it load the HTML before it loads the CSS, and then mis-render a page? Ever read the 404 message carefully to try to figure out what exactly went wrong, and who went wrong?).

He also told me the "NT is Micah" rumor several years before I heard it from anybody else because he also had contacts at DEC (before it got subsumed by Compaq). I tend to believe him.
AnonymousCoward

Nov 27, 2005
2:51 PM EDT
Er... hang on, Microsoft's MSIE team "have torn the code to Firefox apart"?

Using SCOX's legal methodology, the Firefox team now own MSIE via the MSIE team's brains, don't they? Does that mean that they can sue MS for three gigabux as well? (-:
tadelste

Nov 27, 2005
3:35 PM EDT
Yes!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!