Data is wrong

Story: Linux is Doomed, Thanks to MicrosoftTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
bstadil

Nov 27, 2005
9:06 PM EDT
The data is wrong. The 31.7% is Unix not Linux. This has been discussed in details at /. and not worth hashing thru.

Linux $1.44 11.5% Windows $4.60 36.8% Unix $3.90 31.2% Other $2.55 20.4% Total $12.49 100.0%

Just what precisely is the 20% other AS400 or Novell? It is mostly servers with no OS.

The data is based on Value, they do not publish unit numbers. By the way the Average unit price of a Linux server rose 10% Year on Year calculated using Delta in Value and Units. They do not publish absolute units but only percent change Year on Year.

As an example how bad this data is Dell Blade servers bought without OS is counted as Windows. Go to Dell and have a look

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=0...
dinotrac

Nov 27, 2005
11:58 PM EDT
bstadil --

Followed the link to Dell, but don't understand what you're talking about.

What did I miss?
Fritz

Nov 28, 2005
12:06 AM EDT
First off, I haven't read the analysis, but I think the key word s probably revenue. It isn't talking numbers of servers or percent of servers sold. It's percent of revenue made from selling them. Since we all know that each sale of windows is pure revenue, I imagine this would skew the numbers. If some one has a link to this particular study, they could maybe verify this. Also, Microsoft continues to make licensing revenue on old servers, does this count toward the total? If that were added in it makes the numbers utterly insignificant, if not a landslike victory for linux.

-> Fritz
helios

Nov 28, 2005
5:22 AM EDT
Doomed my left foot. If Linux posed no threat to MS, why "get the facts"? Why studies like this? Why does MS backdoor money to the Globe to post a non-story so they can smear someone advocating open source.

They can read the writing on the wall. They want to kill the child before it can fight for itself.

Suddenly Tom, the word Jihad doesn't sound so bad.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 28, 2005
5:30 AM EDT
dino - it took me some time to find it: go nearly to the bottom of the options and there is a preselected option of no OS, configured for Windows ...

It just might be that most eventually get a Windows OS (or maybe not), because as a courtesy to a large enterprise, they would otherwise have to wipe the disc to put their standard installation. It would have been better for Dell to list these as unknown, however, it seems that they might be reporting such sales as Windows, since their stating its being configured for Windows implies that's where the sales statistics will land.

Just one more reason to view such statistics with a jaundiced eye.
dinotrac

Nov 28, 2005
5:34 AM EDT
txt -

I saw that, too, but that's a long way from saying that the sales statistics will count the box as a Windows server.

After all, it is listed on their site (and, by implication, in their systems -- after all, they've got to do the pick list and deliver the fool thing0 -- as a "No OS" machine.

Doesn't mean it isn't, but the road to hell is greased by wrong assumptions.
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2005
8:53 AM EDT
sheesh, you statistics geeks put me to sleep. All you need to know is:

Linux GOOD, Windows BAAAAD

Keep chanting until you see a bright light and feel weightless. Then all will be made clear.

And yes, the key word is 'revenues.' They ignore on purpose the numbers of free downloads and legally copied installation CDs. Measuring actual installs would be the accurate measure. I wonder what actual installs would show? 3x, 4x, more Linuxes? How many unlicensed Windows?

And don't forget windows is stinkin' expensive, when you're measuring revenues.
dinotrac

Nov 28, 2005
10:04 AM EDT
tuxchick -

And making it all that much worse, some Windows OS's are cheap enough to the Vendor that, in some configurations, a truly efficient vendor (like a Dell or some such) could sell a Windows Server for less than somebody else might be able to sell an OS-less box.

In that case, it makes sense to buy the "Windows server" and toss the OS.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!