Free vs. Open

Story: US-based Indians build homebrewed mobilesTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
rittmey

Nov 28, 2005
8:56 AM EDT
Reading this article and recalling Agassi and the very latest babble of Gates (well he always talked along that line) I wonder whether there is a campaign under way which tries to discredit free software (and especially the GPL) while praising the open source-movement.

Well I can imagine the likes of IBM, Microsoft, SAP, Oracle and other big companies loving the Apache, BSD, Mozilla and eclipse-licenses which grant them the right to take the code and still keep everything they build upon it closed and proprietary - which of course is exactly the reason I would always prefer the GPL for projects I contribute to.

[ Whoa. While previewing I noticed that even the spellchecker of this forum doesn't approve of the GPL ;-) ]

Is it really a new trend of arguing or has it been going on for much longer and I only just realized it? Since some historically very well versed people are among us, I'd really like to know.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!