Questions still to be answered

Story: Top open source lawyer blesses new terms on Microsoft's XML file formatTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Abe

Nov 28, 2005
6:24 PM EDT
"It means that both open source and proprietary software can compete in implementations of these important XML schemas without the threat of patent litigation from Microsoft"

Finally MS is ready to compete. But are they going to be fair and square?

"and we don't have to pay royalties to Microsoft to do so"

developers don't, but does the user of FOSS products have to pay royalties to MS? We can't leave any ambiguity for MS can we?

"it's clear from the wording of the covenant when Microsoft won't sue"

That is not important, what is important is to know when MS would be able to sue. Would MS be kind enough and tell us when would that be?

"If the Microsoft news wins Google over to the company's file formats with whatever plan it is hatching, it could be game over for ODF."

And why would Google want to adopt MS format instead of ODF? Out of love or sympathy?

I had enough, Berlind likes to write too much.

In couple weeks, I bet we will hear that MS will be supporting ODF.
dcparris

Nov 28, 2005
10:43 PM EDT
The one question that never even came up in Berlind's inquiry is whether their format allows GPL'ed software. I thought the terms prohibited that.
Abe

Nov 29, 2005
6:06 AM EDT
Good point. MS try their best to avoid even mentioning the GPL. To them, it is like the cross to a vampire.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!