Ingram Micro has started to carry Linspire

Story: Linux Desktops will get killed by Microsoft this ChristmasTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
miahfost

Nov 30, 2005
3:44 AM EDT
This is significant since Ingram Micro is a distributor and there will be plenty of opportunities to build simple web front ends to their products. Soon the world will be flooded with linux desktops.
tadelste

Nov 30, 2005
5:53 AM EDT
Quoting:Soon the world will be flooded with linux desktops.

How many times have I heard this over the last six years? I don't know. But, people said it when Red Hat struck a deal with Ingram Micro in 1999.

I'm not attempting to discredit the effort. It's human nature to have enthusiasm and see mental pictures of things going the way we wish. Now, turn those mental images into reality. It takes courage, persistence and hard work. You also need a lucky break along the way.
miahfost

Jan 02, 2006
1:06 AM EDT
You are right, it is way to optimistic to say there will be a flood of linux computers. But this is a significant development since MS sells most of its software in the distributor channel, if this starts to erode, there will be further market share for Linux. Plus Linspire is mostly debian!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!