I think this is the google's secret

Story: Why Google funds open source development?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
mariuz

Nov 30, 2005
6:41 AM EDT
it's the open source stupid They can buy 100.000 servers and install whatever they want (no restrictions) : Debian, Fedora ... They do have smart people who know how to use open source tools (linux,firefox,gnome,apache,java,python,mysql...) You know the words:"Sky (google.moon) is the limit" No pesky licenses , no serials ,They are really free of Microsoft (In the core business)
devnet

Nov 30, 2005
8:28 AM EDT
http://www.denverlinux.com/myfirstlinux/google.html

We're still waiting on Google to port most of their apps to Linux. They use it daily to power 90% of their company yet they only port a few apps for use in an OS different from XP. Odd eh?
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2005
8:34 AM EDT
I think google has the potential to become the Real Evil Empire, because they are pioneering ways to collect, store, and collate data from diverse sources, and build extensive data profiles on individuals without their knowledge or consent. It was bad enough before with Lexis-Nexus and other data-mining companies- Google is kicking it into high gear. Welcome to our shiny new goldfish bowl.
SFN

Nov 30, 2005
8:46 AM EDT
"Welcome to our shiny new goldfish bowl."

Testify, sister.

I looked up my house on Google Earth. Yup, there it is. And there's my pool. And...hey...there's somebody in it. Fortunately the pic is too blurry to see who it is. Good thing too, considering the choice of swim attire my wife and I prefer. Of course, that's just because they haven't got the really cool zoom lens on the GoogleHubble Scope yet.
jimf

Nov 30, 2005
9:47 AM EDT
Tuxchick, I've been saying that for a long time. I personally don't trust anyting they do now, and, won't use anything besides the search engine.... Not much choice with that.
bstadil

Nov 30, 2005
11:30 AM EDT
won't use anything besides the search engine.... Not much choice with that

That is not really true. There is a lot of Search start-up due to Google's success and some of them are quite good. Try http://www.exalead.com/search

The best way to try alternatives is to go to Mozdev.org and look at the add on to the search box. Moz comes with Jeeves, and Google but you can add lot's of others mostly specialized.

jimf

Nov 30, 2005
2:29 PM EDT
True bstadil... I got to look up how to add those in Opera

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!