New Business Opp for Digital Media - Brazil

Story: The RIAA - Hollywood - DRM - Linux Suicide PactTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tadelste

Nov 30, 2005
2:38 PM EDT
It seems that Brazil could emerge as the world's largest producer of everything digital. Or maybe Iran or some other country that doesn't agree with DMCA. They could decode everything, make it clean and sell it as a download or as streaming media.

Hmmmm. Anyone ?
jimf

Nov 30, 2005
3:00 PM EDT
Brazil is a very strange mix of high tech and 3rd world. A lot of potential, but I currently don't know what to make of them. They do have very strong ties with Japan, so, they could suprise everyone.
tadelste

Nov 30, 2005
3:05 PM EDT
OK. Any non-WTO country could dust 'n clean digitial media and sell it and they would have a world market. That's the point. It's not like taking an 18 wheeler full of Canadian Whisket to LA from Montreal.

That's all I meant to say.
jimf

Nov 30, 2005
3:47 PM EDT
I don't see that as a big possibility. 3rd world countries have already tried that with MS software, but, they get shut down in a hurry. I'm sure the same would happen if someone tries it with digital media. RIAA will do whatever it takes to turn off the source.
tadelste

Nov 30, 2005
5:15 PM EDT
Jim, Actually, they haven't been effective even in Brazil. You have to have copyright laws and a way for them to bring suit against you in your country. That's why countries like Iran and Cuba can get away with using pirated everything.

Think this through and I believe you'll understand that Microsoft and the RIAA can do nothing to soveign nations which have no laws to protect Microsoft. hehe.
helios

Dec 01, 2005
3:12 AM EDT
the RIAA can do nothing to soveign nations which have no laws to protect Microsoft. hehe......

Bingo, and don't think for a moment that there are not squads of MS attorneys looking at this from all angles. Tom hit it on the nose. This represents a major threat not only to MS but to the music and movie industry. I hate to align myself with another nation on ANY issue, patriot snob that I am, but I gotta wave the Brazilian Flag here. Besides, I hear they make a good cup of coffee.
Tsela

Dec 01, 2005
4:39 AM EDT
Helios: And they are nice people too. Two of my best friends are Brazilian, and they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. And open source is very strong there indeed. Last time I mailed them, he was working at the São Paolo university with a combination of Windows and Linux computers, while she was busy setting up a small network of Linux computers at home :) .

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!