Microsoft's Format Fails Comparison with Sun's

Story: LXer Feature: An Interview with Lawrence Rosen, Open Source LawyerTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
hkwint

Dec 06, 2005
12:33 PM EDT
This is all a bit weak from Mr Rosen, ain't it?

Why does anyone quote from Wikipedia? Microsoft-employees could change the Wikipedia ODF article. BTW, it is already changed, and no longer mentions MS OpenXML as open. It even mentions it as proprietary if I am reading well.

On the next interview, please ask Mr Rosen a comment on

"Microsoft's Format Covenant Fails Comparison Test with Sun's" http://consortiuminfo.org/newsblog/blog.php?ID=1762
tadelste

Dec 06, 2005
2:03 PM EDT
I understand why Dino left the practice of law. It's hard to maintain two positions sometimes.
Herschel_Cohen

Dec 06, 2005
2:10 PM EDT
hkwint - yes that's the citation I have stored as my followup question, but it will be a bit more complex than just asking about how good MS's word is not to sue.

I can now confirm we will be sending a few more questions to Larry next week. At the time of my initial request I set seven as the upper limit, hence, I am open to considering readers suggested questions: upper limit two.

Either post here, or email me through the LXer internal email system. I believe this works just for registered readers, so please register if you want input.
sharkscott

Jan 01, 2006
9:05 AM EDT
I want to make sure I am getting this correct,

If Microsoft makes Open-XML the default for the next version of Office, they can just change it with the next Office release and by proxy force everyone who just converted to upgrade anyway.

So Open-XML will be "open" but as soon as Microsoft comes out with another version of Office, they will be putting Open-XML on an island.

It will be open, but it will not work with the new versions of Office going forward and anyone who uses MS Office will not use it because it is not compatible with the newest version of Office.

And what if they decide to not use it at all? An "open" format that is not the default on any office application and is not compatible with MS Office going forward is not going to be used by anyone. What does it matter if it is "open" if no one uses it?

What a joke, yeah its "open" all right, "open" to not be used by anyone.

Please let me know if I got it wrong, I have been reading all the articles and trying to make sense of it. I am not sure I understand it all, but I'm trying. :-)
tadelste

Jan 01, 2006
2:49 PM EDT
You did not get it wrong. You got it exactly.

One of the issues not figured out until the filing was posted - they have an open XML wrapper but anyone who uses it must also support undocumented proprietary Microsoft failed XML code, old RTF code and WordML code. No one has access to that stuff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!