Business Sense

Story: US defends Microsoft in Korea (Friends in high places)Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Abe

Dec 08, 2005
12:10 PM EDT
"The US government has accused South Korean anti-trust regulators of being excessive in ordering Microsoft to strip out popular software tools from its Windows operating system."

The penalty is about $35 million, politicians would try to reduce it substantially, MS contributes a few to politicians, MS recovers billions from sheep-consumers, MS gets away with it and every one is happy. It is business as usual.
tadelste

Dec 08, 2005
12:20 PM EDT
Abe: Al Capone didn't have it so good and they couldn't touch him.
mdl

Dec 08, 2005
2:16 PM EDT
Tom, I don't know how you define "they couldn't touch him", but Al did end up spending 4 1/2 years in Alcatraz. Actually, there are quite a few parallels between Al and Bill. Both had enough ill-gotten gains that they could buy almost anyone and anything. Unfortunately, I don't think Bill ever goes to the slammer.

http://www.alcatrazhistory.com/cap1.htm
tadelste

Dec 08, 2005
6:52 PM EDT
mdl, I do know they story. Capone did get caught on a Federal Tax Evasion charge that almost didn't work because the judge and the jurors were bribed. Prior to that, he was "untouchable" because he owned everybody. The parallels are amazing between Bill and Al as you noted.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!