article shows author's 'expertise'

Story: Review:Linux Made EasyTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
number6x

Dec 12, 2005
9:39 AM EDT
The Author is correct in complaining that a top of the line Linux distro like SuSE should handle LCD monitors better, or at least give newbies a clicky thingy to put the "vga=791" in the boot parms.

But the author also exposes his own ignorance of computers with the quote:

"Obviously, Novell still has a way to go writing drivers for most of the hardware out there."

Drivers for a video card I've heard of, but monitor drivers?

This must be something new, or a Windows thing.

I thought that monitors had settings you needed to feed into your graphics sub system, but I'm just one of those Linux whacko's so what do I know.

And how does not supporting one monitor lead to a long way to go to supporting most of the hardware out there? One Monitor is most of the hardware? This guy is showing his lack of knowledge in the fields of Computers and Statistics in one sentence.

Monitor drivers, wtf?
jimf

Dec 12, 2005
1:40 PM EDT
He's just referring to the DPMS monitor detection. That can be detected under Windows or Linux and the information applied to the video card settings via the card driver, but it is hardly a driver in itself. DPMS signals give the possible, and, preferred or default monitor settings. In Linux we are applying those settings through the x configuration file. either x11 or the xorg.conf.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!