Nice article

Story: 2005: Were the Grownups in Charge?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
sbergman27

Dec 24, 2005
9:10 AM EDT
Nice EOY article, Carla.

I'm a long time RH/Fedora fan. I try new distros regularly. And I always move back to a RH based one fairly quickly. Debian and I never really got along, though I always wanted to like Debian for ideological reasons. Then I installed Ubuntu 5.10, Breezy Badger. And I like it. I might move back to Fedora... but I feel no pressure or hurry to. That's a significant first. Ubuntu's irritations are different, but more or less equivalent in magnitude to Fedora's. Now, once Ubuntu's next release comes out... with (what is it?) 3 year support for desktops and 5 for servers, that might shift the balance.

As to RedHat... they are the perfect example of how a company can do everything right, go far beyond what they are legally required to do. Providing all their source in nicely packaged SRPMs. Consolidating all their trademarked art and materials in a couple of easily modify-able SRPMs (Clone me! Clone me!). And yet still have a very vocal group of grassroots detractors. The detractors usually take a world view that "success == bad". And in the end they haven't made much difference, fortunately.

At the end of 2005, I am really struck by the things that, a few years ago, we would have been ecstatic about, but accept with a yawn today. (Remember when Oracle announced official Linux support?)

We've come a long, long way since I first discovered Linux in 1995. We've come even further since I first discovered (and fell in love with) Unix in 1988. What I didn't realize back then was just how far we had, and still have, to go.

They say that getting there is half the fun. I'd say that "half" is a bit conservative.

Merry Christmas and a Productive New Year! :-)

jimf

Dec 24, 2005
12:01 PM EDT
I always enjoy Carla's articles :)

What seems to be clear is that most of the adults have been, for the most part, in the Linux / FOSS community this year. Almost all other arenas seem to have have been taken over by the children, and nasty children at that. Let's hope that the rest of the world grows up a little in 2006.

Two amazing achievements for Linux this last year that Carla didn't mention are the XOrg and KDE Projects. Both, XOrg with it's fully modularized 7.0 release, and, KDE with version 3.5 and QT 4, have come in ahead of schedule (and of course under budget :) ). Great work guys.

Here's wishing Carla, and all of you guys at LXer have a great Holiday season and a Terrific 2006!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!