What people are accustomed to

Story: Is Linux an Alternative or Does It Stand Alone?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Dec 25, 2005
5:50 PM EDT
I enjoy Japanese cartoons. If the first time I see an anime it's in Japanese with subtitles, I tend to always prefer that title in Japanese with subtitles. If, however, I see the title dubbed in English first, it's quite likely that I will prefer to view the title dubbed.

I started on a command line TRS-80 Model 1. I am very comfortable with a command line, and I enjoy the systems built with Linux because of their function and form. I might compare KDE with Windows, or I might even use "Linux" the same way that someone else says "Windows" to mean everything on their box including the games they installed themselves.

Most of the individuals who use computers in the world started only after the launch of Windows. Windows being pre-installed means that with rare exceptions Windows was their first environment. A graphical environment. Think of it as dubbed anime. But I know the difference, the same way that more experienced computer users will recognize the GUI as a *shell*, not as the operating system itself.

Can "Linux" be both an alternative and stand alone? Of course. People looking for alternatives to Windows will see the GUI shells running on Linux and, perhaps, find an environment they are comfortable with.

Linux is an alternative to vendor lock-in and endless upgrade cycles.

Other people, looking for solutions to specific problems, will see the flexibility of the Linux platform. Face facts: the same code base is used to build world top-10 supercomputers as well as run on my laptop. That is flexibility that no other OS has.

Linux stands alone.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!