iRiver is almost as useful

Story: The iAudio U3 and GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
ralph

Dec 29, 2005
10:15 AM EDT
Howdy, The iRiver works fine with Linux after you load the alternate firmware from iRiver. The alternate firmware makes the device act as a USB Mass Storage Device and Linux sees it fine. The problem is that you have to have a Windows machine to load the alternate firmware. It is distributed in a proprietary format that only the Window Media Manager from iRiver understands. I contacted iRiver to see if there was any alternate way to load the firmware. It took several weeks for a response and the answer was no. So, you need a Windows machine to make the iRiver player useful on non-Windows machines. You have to give them some points for thinking of us, but count off for poor execution.
dcparris

Dec 29, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
That was something I read about in a number of comments about iRiver (at least with some models). When I saw that iAudio was supposed to work with GNU/Linux out of the box I decided to buy it instead. Kudos to Cowon (the manufacturer).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!