Try SUSE 10.0

Story: Ubuntu for AMD64 not 'there' yetTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
mdl

Jan 01, 2006
6:14 AM EDT
I recently installed SUSE 10.0-Eval for X86_64 from the DVD. I had not tried SUSE before, but with the Open SUSE project I thought I would give it a try. I was blown away. Great distro and everything works for me. It is my new base install.

IMO, it is 'there' now.
sharkscott

Jan 01, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
I installed SuSE 10.0 on my main machine a couple of months ago, I am like a pig in..mud.

I am like SO not missing Windows!

Like my valley girl impression?

:-)
cjcox

Jan 01, 2006
2:29 PM EDT
I have had some stability problem on my w2100z (dual Opteron) and I just did a plain ole 3Ghz P4 (800Mhz FSB) box.... both would lock up randomly. It could be the Nvidia driver... not sure. Anyway, both are rock solid on 9.3. I've done other SUSE 10 installs without issue. When I try to mount my external RAID (large one with a 800GB partition) under 10.0, sometimes it mounts, sometimes it doesn't. Appears that the LSI SCSI driver (not open source) doesn't work well with 10.0. It has no problem under 9.3. So... I'm back to 9.3 as my primary SUSE at home.
Inhibit

Jan 01, 2006
5:55 PM EDT
That statement, in and of itself, is pretty spot on. It's not that there are major flaws with Debian 's (hence, Ubuntu) implementation, it's just that it's still beta. And in Debian's tree, it's clearly listed as beta.

Sometimes they spend a bit *too* long beta-ing there releases. With this one, they're spot on. From what I hear some of the apt-get type utilities and build tree structures need updating.

Gentoo's been the best 64bit release for my time. But that solution is definitely not for everyone.
superfly

Jan 02, 2006
3:05 AM EDT
i started out on red hat, looked at mandrake, and then at a friends suggestion looked at suse... and i've never looked back.

i've used ubuntu, which is very nice, and looked at live cds of other distros, but i don't think i'll be moving from suse.

i do, however, buy the commercial version, since it has some of the proprietary stuff built in (like flash and java) which the oss version doesn't have. plus i get the nice looking box ;-)
Abe

Jan 02, 2006
5:57 AM EDT
superfly,

"i do, however, buy the commercial version"

Most importantly, you keep a very good distro supported and available. I do the same.
jdixon

Jan 03, 2006
7:50 AM EDT
Well, I started with Slackware. I've tried Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, and Mepis, and looked briefly at half a dozen others over the years; but none of them have been an improvement over Slackware, so that's what I still use.
herzeleid

Jan 03, 2006
2:04 PM EDT
I started using slackware in 1993, and I'll always consider slack cool - but these days I run SuSE for everything, desktop and datacenter. It's fast and reliable in the server room, and I find it very nice for gaming/multimedia and all other normal desktop activities, for which most people tend to use windoze, without even thinking about whether that's the only choice, or even a suitable choice.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!