A Matter of Prespective

Story: How one reviewer approaches the art of reviewingTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Abe

Jan 08, 2006
6:56 AM EDT
They say "Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder". This is certainly true in the case of reviewing Linux distros. Using tabulation though, it could be made as scientific as possible but not totally scientific. K/Ubuntu has a lot of a good thing but also has many things that still to be desired. A while back I said K/Ubuntu has a lot of potential due to the resources available to it, but it is not as good as some of the distros that have been worked on for a long time. The point is, progress needs time too and K/Buntu 6.10 will be much better than 5.10. By the way, one of the things I wish it had like other distros offer is using the LiveCD to do the hard disk install instead of having to download a separate ISO.

In his response, Steven appears feeling defensive. He shouldn't have to do that since others were voicing their prespectives. He presented some of his dislikes about it and they were merely indicating that they disagree with him and presenting what they like about it.

Any ways, It is not a matter of who is wrong and who is right, or who doesn't know Linux and who doesn't know reviewing. It was a matter of prespective.
tadelste

Jan 08, 2006
7:06 AM EDT
The everything is relative and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder was never meant to apply to matters of society. Value systems aren't relative. They represent a code of honor and the code does't change.

Truth does exist and one can prove reality. But lazy, uneducated people with only enough of a vocabulary to make their way through a shopping mall use the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" rationale to justify an existence lacking the quality of refinement.

Our educational system has done us all a disservice especially when we let people run around spotting platitudes which they don't comprehend. Everyone seems to seek their 15 minutes of fame before they turn to dust.

But that's how some people fool others into buying certain products, one of which is Windows.
Abe

Jan 08, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
Tom,

You remind me of myself few years younger. To me then, things always were logical and clear as black and white. I was always amazed and mind boggled by how some people don't see things as clear as I do. Well it could be that, because people a different, they see things in a totally differently prespective.

You have a valid point. One of the big reason MS is so dominant is because the majority of reports and analysts jumped on the bandwagon of MS to brainwash users. They made a good living out of it because they controlled the presses. They still do today to a certain extent but a lot different now with the Internet. Back then it was newspapers and magazines, which normal users didn't have the chance to rebuke and expose those who were in control of the media. Today, anyone can write and present their opinions virtually any where and in almost any publication.

But the fact remains that people are different and they see things differently. Many times influenced by whoever publishes an opinion but the platform is open for everyone to contribute. Well, I consider that part of the freedom we have in general and also the Freedom of software we advocate for.
tadelste

Jan 08, 2006
1:17 PM EDT
Abe: I'm probably a lot older than you, so we can dispense with the youth issue, if you would like.

I know people have different perspectives but that doesn't mean they automatically have any basis in reality. Lat night, gunmen threatened people across the street from me at 1 AM. They broke a major silence. People were screaming at the top of their lungs. These guys even treatened the police when they arrived.

Now, I live in a nice neighborhood where the total crime for the year was like 25 incidents. The most troublesome was the theft of a camera from the front seat of an unlocked car. I live in a neighborhood next to a University.

As I said, "the everything is relative and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder was never meant to apply to matters of society. Value systems aren't relative. They represent a code of honor and the code does't change." These people got arrested for whatever. If the police decided that everything was relative and all people's perspectives were equally valid, then I might have taken a random bullet.

So, no, I do not accept the notion that we have to respect everyone's perspective, even though I respect you.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!