Free Software Must Be Critical of Itself

Story: How one reviewer approaches the art of reviewingTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
jwbr

Jan 09, 2006
9:05 AM EDT
I have long admired this reviewer's articles for both his even-tempered tone and interesting topics and perspectives. I am further impressed with his rebuttal (he could have flamed but he didn't).

This sort of review is what Free software needs: Criticism. I personally agree with his review and will soon replace my Kubuntu 5.10 install with SuSE 10 because of the latter's polish and overall robustness (and fewer problems), at least as applies to my hardware, needs, and time/ability to tweak the system and deal with community support.

Supporters of Free software need to remember one thing: Most new (i.e., current Windows) users will give Linux maybe a few minutes time and that's it. If it does not work better than Windows (or at minimum as good), they won't give it another look (and will go on to tell others about their bad experience). If the goal is to provide a new, better, lock-in free software infrastructure for the world, then all Linux distros and their component communities need to keep criticizing themselves and improving and not just releasing new versions (with new sets of problems). Self-criticism is indispensable in this process.
tadelste

Jan 09, 2006
11:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Supporters of Free software need to remember one thing: Most new (i.e., current Windows) users will give Linux maybe a few minutes time and that's it. If it does not work better than Windows (or at minimum as good), they won't give it another look (and will go on to tell others about their bad experience).

jwbr: I don't agree 100%. I jumped to Linux in 1998 and it didn't work that well. I had to learn everything from scratch. The installer required configuring X, picking packages whose names meant nothing to me, finding hardware that worked. I also know many people who have jumped and went through similar pains.

I have SuSE 10 and Ubuntu 5.10 running here in the office on desktops. I don't get that SuSE is a better product. In fact, I would argue that SuSE doesn't work for me. It works for my wife, but she got used to Sun JDS first.

For servers, I'm committed to Debian -Stable.

If a Windows user has had it with Microsoft and wants to change, they will do it. If they don't get the same experience as Windows and prefer Windows, I say bless 'em.

I just don't want their mothership trying to exterminate Linux.

As far as the article about Free Software having to be critical, that depends on whose agenda centers the discussion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!