Hmm, a solution in search of a problem?

Story: Avg UK Introduces Free Virus Protection For LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
herzeleid

Jan 09, 2006
1:05 PM EDT
Perhaps if "AVG Free" were licensed in such a way that it could be run on linux servers, it would make a bit more sense, since it could then be used to protect vulnerable windoze peecees.

On a linux desktop I just don't see any benefit in return for the CPU cycles it would use.
jimf

Jan 09, 2006
1:36 PM EDT
In addition, proprietary anti-virus providers have been so linked with the MS insecurities that, I for one, really don't want to see them get a foothold in Linux.
mdl

Jan 09, 2006
4:32 PM EDT
I see this as a positive,,, it is a sign of Linux's success that Windows applications are starting to provide Linux versions to "cover the bases". Who knows when the next domino will fall? Tax preparation software, Photoshop, accounting programs?

It is a good sign that these guys are trying to catch the Linux train before it leaves the station!

Or, I may just be delusional....
salparadise

Jan 09, 2006
9:58 PM EDT
It is a good sign that these guys are trying to catch the Linux train before it leaves the station!

Yup, you are right I think. It shows something of a staggering non-understanding of Linux so it's a bit of a cynical bandwagon jump, but it reflects a greater truth.

We are getting noticed and more to the point,this company feels it can no longer ignore the Linux market.

As an aside, word at work is we're going to be one of the resellers for this so as soon as we get a copy I'll install it, have a play and get back to you's all.

My understanding is it's a bundled package - firewall, antivirus and antispam all in one.
jimf

Jan 09, 2006
10:20 PM EDT
Oh, I'm not against proprietary apps in Linux. In fact I'm currently trying to convince a Win developer to do a Linux version of his program. It's just this vendor and this segment of the Windows market that I'm suspicious of.
jdixon

Jan 10, 2006
6:15 AM EDT
> It's just this vendor and this segment of the Windows market that I'm suspicious of.

I can't say I blame you. While AVG does seem to be one of the better AV vendors out there, after the Sony fiasco I'm not sure I trust any of the major vendors. In any case, F-Prot has made their linux scanner free for home use for years now, and they're (IMO) the best of the bunch. I see no reason to choose AVG over them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!