That's all cool, but...

Story: GNU/Linux: An Amazing StoryTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
gnufan

Jan 13, 2006
10:59 AM EDT
... this story has in my humble opinion been told more than one too many times.
tadelste

Jan 13, 2006
11:28 AM EDT
You're right. What makes it interesting to me is the fact that it has a plot line, distinct plot points and fits the paradigm of a story in terms of Aristotle's Poetics. Act I, II, III. The part of about art imitating life doesn't always work. But, this story doesn't need enhancing. That's amazing perhaps to a journalist with a literary background. It's also interesting to a journalist with a literary and technical background eh.

You can't tell a great story too many times, especially when only a few people have heard it.

richo123

Jan 13, 2006
1:18 PM EDT
Good work Tom I really enjoyed the read. BTW by a strange coincidence my second daughter was born on September 17 1991 so is exactly the same age as Linux. Unfortunately she hates Linux and loves her Windows XP. Oh Well.
tadelste

Jan 13, 2006
1:25 PM EDT
richo: That's remarkable. Let's see, she a virgo right? She'll come around :)
richo123

Jan 13, 2006
1:52 PM EDT
I think she got put off by the old man ranting about Linux all the time and the fact that flash support is only at level 7 not 8 at present.
tadelste

Jan 13, 2006
2:00 PM EDT
Kids!
helios

Jan 15, 2006
3:29 AM EDT
Wish it were just kids...my wife doesn't see the need to change her system either...

What bothers me about people like her is that she spends 3 minutes tinkering in a Linux machine and declares that she hates it...No, she hates thinking she has to learn something new. Thats fine, I've already told her that when it breaks, I am not going to fix it. You can imagine how well that announcement went over. I have GOT to get me a new sofa...

richo123

Jan 15, 2006
7:38 AM EDT
Easily fixed helios. What I did was buy a shiny new super fast laptop with ONLY linux on it. My wife who is a complete technophobe is now more proficient with linux than Winblows.
AndyCooll

Jan 15, 2006
3:44 PM EDT
helios: did a similar thing to richo123. All my pc's default to Linux (two are Linux only and one of them is a dual boot with WinXP). For my missus, as long as she can get the Internet, play music and logon to Yahoo! Messenger she ain't bothered. And of course Linux does all of them fine!
Abe

Jan 15, 2006
4:21 PM EDT
I have similar problem with my better half. She needs MSN to chat with here family overseas and she wouldn't use Kopete or Gaim even though they do the same if not better than MSN. She is also hooked on hotmail even though we have Comcast. She had many problems with Windows and I had to fix it. I am waiting for a last time since she promised if it goes bad again, she will use Linux.
deis

Jan 17, 2006
5:00 AM EDT
richo: BTW by a strange coincidence my second daughter was born on September 17 1991 so is exactly the same age as Linux. Unfortunately she hates Linux and loves her Windows XP.

Ok, guys, I was born 5, September, 1975 and I hate microsoft.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!