Negative view with old-style preconceptions as a base

Story: Wasted Efforts in F/OSS – Office SuitesTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jan 20, 2006
7:14 AM EDT
Irrespective of the correctness of the premisse, there is no way to stop wasted efforts in Free Software.

Since the licensing is worded in such a way that it is impossible to steer all coding efforts in a single direction, it is nice to question if there are wasted efforts, but completely useless to waste much time on it.

There is no way to stop this other than forbid Free development and force people to go in a single direction. Which would kill the goose with the golden eggs.

Maybe looking at the Free Software development as an evolutionary method of exploring code possibilities, leading to best of breed code through natural selection, would turn this negative view in to a positive one.

Free Software doesn't follow the traditional capitalistic, profit motivated top-down methods of conventional old style businesses.
Herschel_Cohen

Jan 20, 2006
7:54 AM EDT
There is a difference, i.e. speaking of recognition of errors vs. compulsion. Where can you cite that I even hinted at the latter?
jimf

Jan 20, 2006
10:47 AM EDT
There is no way to stop this other than forbid Free development and force people to go in a single direction. Which would kill the goose with the golden eggs.

Isn't that what MS already did?
dcparris

Jan 20, 2006
2:26 PM EDT
HC: I don't think r_a_trip is suggesting you hinted at compulsion. I believe he is saying that would be the only way to prevent waste. Sure, we can help convince some people that developing a common infrastructure is the way to go. However, due to the very nature of FOSS, not everyone will play along. If I'm off base, let me know.
Herschel_Cohen

Jan 20, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
dc - you will have to wait for the next installment that is scheduled for (hmm, not ready yet ...).

I am not that sort of egotist that I ever dreamed I could dictate my vision. At best I am pointing out what I perceive to have been a fundamental error in direction, and this was my first landing point. With a bit more reflection, I realized this is a much bigger issue. Moreover, the personalities involved are not likely to take to following my suggestions. Furthermore, some of these individuals I truly admire for their over sized talents. And finally, the latter is probably at the core of why I think such a wrong course was followed: the hard way was still too easy for them.

At best, some of the voices whose complaints I have heard, but I not taken seriously may be heartened by a discussion that says their path is the better one.

Rest assured, I will be saying much more as I try to tie up many disparate impressions and ideas, but never will I say those I think are in error are to be forced in a direction counter to what they believe. [If these very smart people can err - is it inconceivable that I too might be wrong?] I am here for discussing ideas not prescriptions of all to follow. Indeed, take only what is best in my perceptions, ignore or discard the rest.

Is that clear enough, for now?
dcparris

Jan 20, 2006
4:25 PM EDT
I'm clear. I just thought you might have misunderstood r_a_trip.
joe

Jan 21, 2006
10:50 AM EDT
So what's the point, if it isn't going to happen? I mean, there's really no point to being purely idealistic about coding, you must be at least some part pragmatic. Sure, maybe it'd work in some alternate universe where you're the dictator of the world, but who cares? Heck, go do it yourself, instead of lamenting "duplication" and wasted effort of other people.
jimf

Jan 21, 2006
12:51 PM EDT
This is all a little to controlling for my taste, free or not. I've also got to agree with r_a_trip that it is unlikely to fly in the FOSS community. Different people need different things in any working office structure.

Additionally, I think that what Herschel has described sounds awfully familiar. Although not as tightly focused, we have at least two in Linux called KDE and Gnome... Think about it. Essentially, this is a day late and a dollar short.
d2v

Jan 22, 2006
7:18 AM EDT
I believe we have so many talented programmers in FOSS community that the question of wasted efforts is unimportant for a program as widespread as office suite. Besides a common core or base system for office suite will not be able to retain interest of FOSS programmers for long, who are driven by urge to innovate.

I may be wrong on this, so feel free to express your thoughts!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!