I see your point.

Story: The Two Faces of Microsoft: Pervasive Brand RecognitionTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
vagrant

Feb 03, 2006
12:04 PM EDT
I definitely see your point, the idea that the problem with Microsoft's reputation has little to do with its size and everything to do with its business practices is very accurate portrayal. I don't really want to rehash tired old discussions about "Linux on the desktop," but most people, as you demonstrated, have no idea what Linux is. IBM made some very cute commercials about Linux awhile back. That is, I thought they were cute but most people were *completely* lost on the symbolism of the little child prodigy called Linux. People don't know what it is. Well anyway, in your series I hope you look at Microsoft's latest "Community Efforts" with things like channel9.msdn.com and other things they are doing to appear more "normal."

Lastly, the comment about the boycotting of the shares, I don't think you meant to support that but I think that is horrible. Ken Hutcherson is a hompohobic, Krazy Khristian and I totally support Microsoft in its support of the civil rights bill. Sell the shares because the stock performs poorly, not for ideology!
dcparris

Feb 03, 2006
1:12 PM EDT
While I wasn't promoting his boycott, I feel his strategy is shortsighted. I, too, am a Krazy Khristian - an ordained Baptist minister. If I were to suggest a boycott, though, it would have to do with the way Microsoft treats consumers and business "partners". The scriptures take a pretty hard line on how we treat others, even in business dealings.

If you disagree with someone's viewpoint, fine. However, labeling people is not such a good idea. It might be construed as a personal attack. We don't allow that on the forums here.
tadelste

Feb 03, 2006
1:30 PM EDT
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20001123.html

Professional Gates watchers, and there are quite a few of us, can cite whole eras in his development as a business leader. At the heart of it all is a sense of competition fostered by his grandmother, and played-out in board games and family athletic contests. The single most driving force in the development of Bill Gates today or any day is his competitive nature. The guy simply has to win, and will do pretty much whatever it takes to succeed. Over the years, this need to win at any cost has changed its appearance a bit as times have changed, but it is still there. Bill plays to win. A graceless win is still a win. And if he can't win, then he'd rather not play.

When you are the richest man in the world, nobody can beat you at giving money away. Gates is competitive even at philanthropy. And if, in the process, you discover in yourself a real streak of humanitarianism, well that's a bonus.
vagrant

Feb 03, 2006
7:21 PM EDT
That's an interesting article at PBS. Gates does seem to be a very high-strung, controlling sort of person. However, and it may be well researched, the is a bit strong and inflammatory towards Gates. I mean, to read it, it makes Gates appear to be a bumbling spoiled idiot, how ever could he have created Microsoft? I guess my only point is that Microsoft has enough problems that we can jump onto without going *too* far with it. It just makes the real interesting criticisms of Microsoft seem extremist or, perish the thought, not "mainstream."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!