New Multi-page Format at LXer

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
tadelste

Feb 13, 2006
3:29 PM EDT
If you haven't noticed, you can see earlier news now in a coherent format. Simply click on this link http://lxer.com/module/newswire/past/20/ and scroll to the bottom of the page. You can find stories on page 2 for example in the same format as our Newswire front page.

Are we doing OK?
AnonymousCoward

Feb 13, 2006
5:00 PM EDT
Certainly an improvement from fifty gazillion links.
Koriel

Feb 14, 2006
2:06 AM EDT
Yep, great improvement!
incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
5:41 AM EDT
That looks much better now. However, there's still an overlap of 5-10 posts between page one and 2. I.e. the last 5 posts on page one appear as the first 5 posts on page two. Is this intended?
tadelste

Feb 14, 2006
5:43 AM EDT
I don't know why we have that overlap. I'll check with Dave.
Abe

Feb 14, 2006
6:21 AM EDT
Looks great especially "View by date". I suggest to make it the default with a link to "View next 20".

How about "list posts by poster name"? It would be nice to be able review or to link to older ones for reference.
dave

Feb 14, 2006
6:37 AM EDT
incinerator, I don't see the bug you are referencing.

The last story on page 1 is currently Feb 13, 2006 8:07 PM, and the first story on page two is Feb 13, 2006 7:38 PM.

I looked at the stories and they are different and correct.

Abe: I considered making it a flat-out "By Date" page, but by default decided to make it identical to the newswire homepage for consistency, and then add on the "By Date" as an optional add-on.

Posts by username is certainly do-able. I'll see what I can do.

Dave
dave

Feb 14, 2006
7:00 AM EDT
The Posts by Username feature is complete, and can be accessed by going to the user's member page (click on their username) and then click on the link that says something like "So-and-so has posted such-and-such stories."

Dave
Abe

Feb 14, 2006
7:05 AM EDT
Dave,

You are right, consistency is very important, the way you have it now looks fine too.

Thanks for considering the "by poster".
incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
7:16 AM EDT
Hmm, perhaps it's a problem with the proxy I'm forced to use at work. I'll check it again at home later.
Herschel_Cohen

Feb 14, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
incinerator - I think I know what you are referring to when you see what you think are duplicates when you work your way down through the pages, which I had too many reasons to do.

If you spend some significant amount of time on a given page the number of duplicates seems to grow larger. However, if you see the pages as having of dynamic content, but at a fixed number of slots per page, the newly published items will push what you have seen on a previous page that had not been updated to those below. Hence, you are not seeing duplicated items, they are the same item but in a differing location.
dcparris

Feb 14, 2006
9:44 AM EDT
I definitely like it! Much better! Woohoo!
incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
9:57 AM EDT
The dodgy proxy at work served outdated pages, it works fine at home. Nevermind.
Abe

Feb 14, 2006
11:06 AM EDT
Thanks Dave for getting that so quick. It must be worth the effort since Don seems be very excited about it.

But I am sorry, I didn't make my request clear enough. What I was looking for is sort of like a search where you give the username to get a list of all personal posts (talk backs) submitted by a specific user. If it is too much trouble or you thing it is not worth the effort, I guess we will survive without it.
dcparris

Feb 14, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
I am excited about the cleaner site navigation. I actually avoided clicking on the "next 20 stories" link to avoid looking at the mega-links on page #2. When I did, I would use the navigate by day feature. This is much nicer.
bdumm

Feb 14, 2006
9:29 PM EDT
Dave: incinerator is correct. If you click on page 2 and so on of past stories, you get 5/6 stories on the page that appeared on the page before. And no this is not a proxy, and no this is not new stories being posted. This problem has been there for as long as I can remember.....
dave

Feb 15, 2006
10:16 AM EDT
Could you give me a direct link to where this is happening? Give me a link to both pages that contain duplicate content.
bdumm

Feb 15, 2006
12:10 PM EDT
dave: this I what I am talking about, and thought incinerator was talking about also.

http://bcpub.com/lxer_1.png

This is typical bottom of lxer page. Notice the Next 20 stories link. Thats the only direct link. Then on page 2, or next 20, we see it like this....

http://bcpub.com/lxer_2.png

So the first 5-10 whatever stories are dups from the first page. I just normally scroll......

If you look at the uris and the right side you can see the different positions/uris....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!