self-regulating...

Story: We're so close to losing the Internet - right now! Hello!Total Replies: 1
Author Content
wjl

Feb 21, 2006
1:54 AM EDT
Hmmm...

I read all of this, and somehow I'm still not afraid.

We have something like OSPF, and it wouldn't be too much of an effort IMHO that routers would start to choose a "cheapest" instead of a "shortest" path.

Considering the good side of capitalism, this would lead to using the lines of whoever offers them cheap - bringing more network traffic (and hence, more money) to their networks instead of the ones of the more expensive telcos'.

So if I'm not thinking completely dumb here, there would soon be a self-regulatory effect on the whole thing, causing the "bad" guys to lose money (shares or even their complete business), while the more "good guys" would prosper.

Plus - who could stop us from buying WIMAX equipment and start building networks with our neighbours? ;-)

Just questions - correct me if I'm wrong or simply don't get it here...

cheers, wjl
bdumm

Feb 21, 2006
4:54 AM EDT
wjl: you are spot on in terms of "routes". I am not sure about all the equipment/access points/routers and so on. I have different ideas on such.... :) But in terms of routes, I call the ISP model of the future a SRP. SRP = Stable Route Provider. In the future, a SRP may even pay you for access to your pipes and routes....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!