Next support call

Story: Extreme OS Makeover: Ubuntu To The RescueTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
dtfinch

Mar 06, 2006
5:47 PM EDT
I love this Linux thing you installed, but where did all my programs go? And my documents? Where are my precious documents? I had everything in there! Don't tell me you erased them!
dcparris

Mar 06, 2006
7:14 PM EDT
Actually, I followed up with them today. Fortunately, they did not have a bunch of documents already stored on the computer. They haven't used it much until now. I will be posting Part Deux soon enough.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 06, 2006
10:15 PM EDT
So far I have converted my parents, my girlfriend and my best friend to Linux (Ubuntu 5.10 actually). My parents and girlfriend don't have a dual-boot to Windows but my best friend does (for the games). They're at it for about half a year now and they all love it. Sure there are a few issues now and then but much less than when they still were on Windows.

Here's one tip: Install FreeNX server on the PC's of the people you convert. They're bound to phone you with questions about support and FreeNX makes this very easy. Log in from your home computer, make the nessecary adjustments and off they go! Now I don't have to bike 30 minutes through rainy Dutch weather to help out my parents.

-- Sander
wjl

Mar 07, 2006
12:28 AM EDT
First my sister (Debian/Windows dual boot), but she's still using Windows, afraid tho that some ex-boyfriend could spy on her. Then my bro, who bought a new machine (Ubuntu only). He's a teacher for Windows and Office for the ECDL (European Computer Drivers License), but he does all his work on the Ubuntu machine now. Then our aunt, whose old machine was really a bit old (P1 with only 64MB RAM), so we got a new Sempron machine for her (Debian/Windows dual boot). She originally was afraid because of the complexity of it all (with Windows being too much for her already), and she had some concerns about games. But seeing that there are many many free games for Linux, she's now a happy convert. No 3D 1st person shooters - we're talking card games and things up to tuxracer. Some colleagues are using SuSE, Ubuntu and other distributions in virtual machines at work and are dual-booting at home.

You are right: there are more and more. This is a bottom-up revolution, like every good revolution is/was.

cheers, wjl
mecrider

Mar 07, 2006
2:51 AM EDT
I installed Ubuntu 5.10 (no dual boot) at Christmas for a friend who discovered that when you buy parts for your eMachine from anybody other than eMachine, you cannot reactivate the copy of Windows included. I was able to bring over their email and documents, although most of the documents were made in MS Works so they can't be opened now. I have only had one tech-support call (I didn't get the printer properly configured the first time). Otherwise his teenage son, who had never seen Linux previously, has solved any problems they have. They all love it.
sharkscott

Mar 07, 2006
7:15 AM EDT
I have fixed up an old P-III machine that had 98' on it and have given it to my good friend who lives in Colorado(I'm in AZ), he had zero computer experience before I showed him Linux. He loves it because he knows its an old computer but it is a lot faster and safer with Linux on it. I have also gotten another friend to switch his home desktop. His Wife still uses XP on their Laptop, but I'm working on that.

I have tried to get my Mom to switch but, well lets just say when my Mom puts up a fight, its a good one. :-) Its OK though, she keeps asking me more and more questions about it. My Sister uses Mac's and has been rather effective in combating my logical arguments for switching. Even I have to admit that Mac's are light years better than Windows machines. She knows her way around computers so the fact that she uses a Mac is telling. Still, she is starting to ask me questions about it too. If I can just live long enough, they just might switch. :-)
richo123

Mar 11, 2006
5:47 AM EDT
Sander, I concur with the freenx server idea. Another advantage is that I can get my wife to check her email on our wireless laptop even though I am hogging the main box. Freenx on a wireless lan is very zippy. Keeps everyone happy!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!